British Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jack, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jack

Jack Member

I just wondered what everyone that went to the open thought about yesterday?

It was the first time I have been just to listen and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I think Cory played stunningly.

What I did find strange though, is that none of the bands were allowed to come into the hall to listen to the results, unless they had bought tickets. I completely understand that it was sold out, but it was half empty during the results, atleast some of the bands could have come in. I thought this massively hurt the atmosphere during the results as there was no big cheer or anything because the bands weren't able to listen, other than in the bar.

To be fair, I haven't been to the Nationals/Europeans etc either so I don't know if this is what normally happens for the big contests that are actually well attended.
  2. David Evans

David Evans Member

Yes, it was a shame that the attendants decided to check tickets at such a late stage of the game, to what end I am not sure but there were hundreds of players and supporters a few metres away in the bar who could easily have poured in had drinks been allowed inside. Perhaps they can review it for next year because the atmosphere was lost a little without any cheering bands, save for the Kiwi contingent who were just thrilled to be there. I'm sure they won't be cheering like that next year when the Lions beat them...
  3. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Sorry to be boring but the reason the hall can't be opened up is fire regs. The hall is licensed to hold a limited and specified number of people.
    Dull I know but it stops us burning to death in the (unlikely ) event of a fire.
  4. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

+ the fact that they have to purchase a ticket to enter. I think you will find that revenue featured more than fire regs !
    Slider1 likes this.
  5. marc71178

marc71178 Member

I'm sure that being a sell-out the revenue wasn't an issue.
    stevetrom likes this.
  6. ari01

ari01 Active Member

But that's the same as it is for every other hall I've played in.... I agree with IanRoberts in so far as bandsmans tickets would be required (for capacity / fire regs) which again simply comes down to revenue. I listened to 12 bands and even for Dyke and Cory there where many many empty seats!
  7. Ianroberts

Its the same at every contest now, you either pay for a ticket to hear the results of the competition that you have just given your time in rehearsals and competed in, or you have to wait outside. Personally I think its a very sad state of affairs especially when as we all know most of the time the halls are at no where capacity for the results (possibly due to this)
    Slider1 likes this.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Why should contest organisers give out free tickets just so players can hear the results? Especially when (at the Open) they can sell the same tickets for £20. Decent halls take some paying for. Most wouldn't bother going in anyway - certainly at the Open players don't seem to bother, they wait in the bar. When it was at the Free Trade nobody bothered checking tickets for the results and still 90% of banders stayed in the Abercrombie two streets away.

Bit different for your average local association contest, where unless the banders go in there's generally an audience of two or three Waldorf and Statlers, I grant you, but for big contests if they gave all the competing bands a full set of tickets there'd be getting on for 600 empty seats guaranteed all day.
    Accidental likes this.
  9. Ianroberts

I used to love the free trade hall, went year after year and never paid once ! rush the front doors, scrounge some bandsman tickets, find an open door to the rear of the building. Once found ourselves (the 3 usual suspects) just off stage after sneaking in, to hear the sound of the drum roll to the national anthem ! We were then shown the exit by a rather large doorman, only to manage to sneak in at the front door an hour later. 1983 Connotations if my memory serves me correct.

Happy days !
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  10. Jack

Jack Member

I'm fairly sure at Cheltenham, they let the bands in without tickets just for the results? Surely they could just look at roughly how many seats are free before the results and let people in without a ticket for the results until the hall is full. First come first served :)
  11. marc71178

marc71178 Member

And then what happens if someone who's paid for their ticket and just popped out to the loo can't then get in?
  12. Ianroberts

they have a ticket ! o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
    ari01 likes this.
  13. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Cheltenham is a bit different... Even letting everyone in for the results the hall is less than half full.
    cornetblower likes this.
  14. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

You don't get anything for free these days, they have to make as much money from an event as possible. And it's not just limited there, you even have to take out a second mortgage to pay for parking at a hospital to see a doctor!:rolleyes:
  15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I think the average paying audience at Cheltenham is about 20 people, so the question doesn't arise.
    Tom-King likes this.
  16. marc71178

marc71178 Member

I was referring to the Open as I thought we were still talking about that.