British Open

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Deano, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Deano

Deano Member

Having searched for a thread on the Open and failed, I thought I'd start one. (if there is one already, please lock this one).

How many fellow TMP'ers are going?

I'll be there up in the god's, probably having a few jars afterwards as well.

2. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Im there..... Got ma tickets last week :)
    Went last year and really found it a great day... hopefully now I know where to go for drinks etc. it'll be even better!!!!!!

Anyone want to put there heads on the line with a prediction??

3. Deano

Deano Member

I expect it will be the usual suspects in the frame with a suprise package either 4th 5th or 6th

I'll start it with

Grimethorpe
    BAYV
    Dyke
    YBS
    Scottish Co-op
    Brighouse

Anybody heard the piece yet?

4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well this year for the first time in about 12/14 years i will not be going due to someone at work booking 2 weeks holiday and dont come back till the day of the contest.:mad
    However i will be going to the National Finals instead to make up for it :woo and i will be listening to all the bands as i always do so come over and say
    HELLO BUTCH/PERKY/IAN if you want to call me by my proper name, but i will answer to any of those 3;)
    Door 3
    Stalls
    Row 3
    Seat 25.
    But with coverage from 4BR on the playing of each band at the open i will be able to keep track on how things are when i get home at about 12.30 and see what they think of the playing so far

5. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

I hope to be there as I owe some people some drinks - you know who you are!! But it depends on what I have on nearer the time.

6. Veri

Veri Member

I'm going to the concert on the Sunday, think I'm sitting in the front row!!

7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Our band started it last night.

First impressions are good. Lots of familiar Mozart themes mixed with contemporary sounds of Phillip Wilby. No wall-of-death solos as such but plenty of detail and tricky stuff to overcome. Lots of humour, subtle though.... not "pie-in-the-face" slapstick!

Will be surprised if it's not a hit with the audience.

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Will be there with Aveley & Newham.

I don't find the piece that interesting, has it's tricky moments.

9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I think I will be there for a listen :biggrin:

10. brittm

brittm Member

It's cheating looking at the piece in mid August, surely we're still out of season?!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    British Open
    wewizrobbed
    gimp
  12. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Well as we have to play the thing in a few weeks when would you suggest we look at it.

The open comes early this year on the 9th!!

13. Bones

Bones Member

Strangely the other members of Desford who were at the rehearsal on Sunday 13th didn't think so. :)

14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'm going for the weekend, but probably won't be listening to any bands (I'm not a great listener anyway, and I find Wilby a bit hit and miss to be honest).

15. Bones

Bones Member

You would like this one though Chris. Quite pretty in places. Cut above Atlantic I must say.....

16. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Hmmm... maybe one or two then...

17. Ali

Ali Member

We've run through it a couple of times. Once you get past the awfully hard (on the fingers and ears) beginning, its quite good. I think that you will hear quite a few people whistling the tunes from it over the next few weeks im sure.

18. Deano

Deano Member

Anybody know the full line up?

19. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Particularly like the pretty passage where the timps obliterate the melody.....not quite so keen on the lip-slurrred quavers at AA @ tempo ala bat out of hell....Has it's moments tho'...I think it'll be popular with players and listeners.

C u there,

Sud

20. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I think the full line up is

Ashton
    Aveleyn and Newham
    Black Dyke
    Brighouse
    BAYV
    Carlton Main
    Desford
    Fairey
    Fodens
    Grimethorpe
    Hepworth
    Kirkintilloch
    Reg Vardy
    Rothwell Temps
    Scottish Co-op
    Sellers
    Whitburn
    YBS
    Yorkshire Imps

I won't be there, but for what it's worth, my top six are

BAYV
    Black Dyke
    Fodens
    YBS
    Grimethorpe
    Faireys

21. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've made this thread a "sticky" so that it will appear at the top of the Adjudicator's Comments forum. Thanks for getting things started, Deano.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Black Dyke
    British Open
    wewizrobbed
    gimp