British Open Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by impycornet, Jun 2, 2004.

1. impycornet

impycornet Member

Comments anyone ???

I think this is a very good move on behalf of the organisers.

Certainly should make the day more appealing to the audience ?

So if the pieces are 'own choice' as such, what's the next move ?.......
    Open adjudication ?
  2. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Lol, same idea same time Rob.

I agree it will make the day a lot more appealing, and should ensure that all the bands will play to their maximum ability, a very bold move and a welcome one I think.
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

Will be interesting to see who goes for which piece
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

It will be interesting to see which bands go for which pieces and how it effects the results. Are more revolutionary moves on the way? Could we see the clap-o-meter introduced? :roll:
  5. impycornet

impycornet Member

Well , if we go as far as the clap-o-meter then we should also introduce the Shepherds Crook so that we can stop any dire performances in mid flow thus preventing damage to the audience's/adjudicators hearing and making for a nice early finish to the contest !

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Quality......Contest Music and Montage..2 of ma favourites as well!! Bring on the clapometer!!
  7. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

So much for the rumour about a new arrangement of "Benvenutu Cellini" being selected as the Open testpiece!

I agree it should make it a more interesting day for the audience. "Contest Music" is my all-time favourite testpiece (until now, anyway), I don't remember having heard "Montage", and I couldn't get up to Glasgow to hear "St Magnus" at the European, so I'm looking forward to it already!

Does anyone know when the tickets are available?
  8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

10. Brian Kelly

Thanks guys!
  11. Brian Kelly

According to the link, there is a gala concert after the Open at 8.00pm, featuring YBS and Stavanger Band.

This has been kept quiet, or have I missed the publicity?
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

think i've missed that one too :shock: :shock: :shock:
  13. Brian Kelly

Check out the link from carl woodman's post.
  14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Very bold move! But it could be a winner. Personally I also think the choices available are good pieces.
  15. timps

timps Member

Whoever stuck their neck out on this one, deserves a very big pat on the back!!!

This what we need in banding more people doing different things to keep the movement alive!!!!

Contest Music is ok, Montage is better, but St. Magnus is a fantastic piece, so roll on 18th September!!

I hope someone is going to tell YBS they are playing the Gala Concert if Nadia didn't know!!!

Also does that mean that Stavanger have been invited to compete at the open?!?!?!?!

Lee Downie
    Ex-Flower Percussion
  16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Is this all official - I noticed there weren't any quotes from the organisers etc on the 4barsrest article.

If it is the case it is an excellent idea, good to see organisers are open to 'new' ideas.

Contest Music is all time favourite piece....amazing music. Montage for me has it's good moments and St Magnus was a very listenable but challenging work at the Euros.....wonder whether YBS, Cory and Co-op will stick to the latter or opt to have a crack at one of the other two.

Well done the Mortimers!
  17. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

It is indeed official. I received the official invitation and details of these three works yesterday before the release on 4barsrest was made.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think it should make it a good day, especially as I've never heard "Contest Music" on the contest stage. Only heard it once "live" and that was at Birmingham Town Hall with Grimethorpe under Elgar Howarth in the late 70s.

Unlike some who expressed disappointment with the duplication of pieces in the "Own Choice" at the Europeans, I found the little "mini-contests" thrown up to be quite fascinating, and I'm sure it will be the same in Birmingham.
  19. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Will we now get 3 study scores for a Fiver :D

Seriously certainly a crowd pleasing idea, what do the competing bands make of it I wonder?

20. deave

deave Member

I can't beleive this?! How are adjudacators going to compare the bands playing the same stuff......!!

A step forward yes, but don't see why they're messing with the 'Open'

If it was the masters or scottish open then mebies yeh!!