British Open Test Piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 8, 2005.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Just found this on brassbandworld website

The test piece for the British Open to be held on September 17th this year will be The Night to Sing, by Bramwell Tovey, a new commission with a theme that marks 60th anniversary of the Second World war. This will be available in one month and bands will be contacted by the organisers.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece
    British Open
    commission
    The Night to Sing
    Second World war
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Two questions:
    1) There is only 1 test piece this year? hee hee
    2) Is Bramwell going to be conducting Foden's at the Open? If so, I'd imagine their interpretation would be closest to what the composer intended ;)

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

in ref to 2: Wouldn't Garry Cutt be doing it :eek:

5. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer, Garry Cutt should be conducting Foden's!

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Trust you to reply to THAT Lottie!

7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

:biggrin: Well Garry Cutt is like my favouritist person EVER!

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Good for you! Now can we get back on topic please?

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Edit: off-topic comment removed. (dyl)

Hopefully this new piece will be slightly more interesting than "... all the mountains..."

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I wouldn't bet on the adjudicators noticing though, as history has shown. Drake Rimmer was conducting one of his own pieces years ago and was marked down in a contest. He approached the judge and asked him for a clearer view on what went wrong. He was told that the performance did not consider the composer's imagery of the music and the interpretation was poor! Drake introduced himnself as conductor of the band in question and then as the composer of the work! Needless to say, the adjudicator's integrity was smashed to pieces and he must have been embarrassed for many years to come. By the way, a true story! :clap:

11. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Didn't Eric Ball come 2nd on Resurgam conducting B&R?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece
    British Open
    commission
    The Night to Sing
    Second World war
  13. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Not sure about that but I think he was once subjected to a similar comment to Rimmer.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

15. JR

JR Member

Bit before your time John but I remember Grimethorpe compulsorily sitting out the Open in 1975 when the test was Elgar Howarth's Fireworks (won by Wingates/Dick Evans)
    Howarth i think was in the box as some sort of overseer/chairman - as was Herbert Howells 5 years earlier on Pageantry
    Funnily enough I don't remember any complaints from Grimey, though this was long before the days of relegation from the Open on a points basis.

john r

16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Excellent! A brand-new test-piece, commisioned from Bramwell Tovey! I can hardly wait!

17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There's an interesting theme here - why do you expect composers to be able to conduct? It may not have been interpretation that let their respective Bands down.... ;)

18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Fair Enough!!!

Well pointed out...and I can't really argue with that!!