British Open Solo Quartet Championship 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by NormanNumpty, Nov 2, 2008.

1. NormanNumpty

NormanNumpty New Member

Does anyone have the results from the Senior Solo Final and the individual champions please?

I have the results of the other sections (not the senior quartets) but had to leave before the end of the senior solos and seemed to miss the individual champions!

Was a large contingent of overseas players in th final (well done to you all!) so just curious to see how the Brits fared.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The results are now on 4BR ... too many awards to copy/paste but senior soloist results listed below ...

Senior Solo Final:

1.Glen van Looy (Brass Band Heist) - Euphonium
    2.Harmen Vanhoorne (Brass Band Buizingen) - Bb Cornet
    3.Iain Culross (YBS) - Bb Cornet

Other Finalists in the Final ...
    Mark Howcroft (New South Wales) - Euphonium
    Katrina Marzella (Leyland) - Baritone
    Jef Vermeiren (Brass Band Willebroek)
    Kristy Rowe (Leyland) - Baritone
    Jonathan Truscott (Desford) - Eb Bass
    Nick Walkley (Leyland) - Bb Cornet
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Just got back myself and the final results are on 4br:

What a great day, t'was my first time there and the standard of playing across the board was amazing, shame there weren't many junior entrants though (half term i presume). The boys from Belgium were excellent, and I thought I travelled a long way from Gloucestershire!!

Definately going to enter again next year, the lesson learned is 'don't pick a piece with just technical exercises, pick something with some music in it'! :)
  5. Ali

Ali Member

I heard all but 3 of the finalists and was bowled over by the standards. Some fine quality playing from all involved. Fabulous sounds, musicality and phrasing and a true showing of top class playing. True masters of their chosen crafts. Well done to all and a massive well done to Team Leyland. 4 competitors in the contest and 3 in the finals! It reminded me of why I didn't do these sorts of gigs though! Too much pressure, the lack of a band to cover up any flannel (and not much of that heard today, thats for sure) and a massive weight of expectation that is placed on you as the bar is raised higher and higher, is far too much for me to handle. For that I salute you all!
  6. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

Well done to all our players at Oldham Band (Lees). Great results!
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Well done to one and all yesterday. i only heard a few in the top section and the standard was exceptional and especially well done to Glen.

Also i was highly impressed with the intermediate section standard and well done to Charlotte Heaven for winning that section. i didn't hear her in the final because i was too busy slagging myself off after my performance but if she played anything like she did in the preliminaries, she was a deserving winner.
  8. salefc

salefc Member

Does anyone have the full results from the senior preliminary?
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

A massive well-done to the Belgian contingent :D