British Open Results 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Roger Thorne, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

1. Fodens Richardson, Garry Cutt, 10
    2. Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 6
    3. Cory Band, Dr. Robert Childs, 11
    4. Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 4
    5. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 15
    6. Black Dyke, Nick Childs, 1

Best solist:
    Glyn Williams, Fodens Richardson

Best Soprano:
    Kevin Crockford, Grimethorpe

courtesy of 4BR

2. Danperc

Danperc New Member

1. Fodens Richardson, Garry Cutt, 10
    2. Grimethorpe Colliery, Allan Withington, 6
    3. Cory Band, Dr. Robert Childs, 11
    4. Leyland, Jason Katsikaris, 4
    5. Kirkintilloch, Selmer Simonsen, 15
    6. Black Dyke, Nick Childs, 1
    7. Carlton Main Frickley Colliery, Russell Gray, 12
    8. Brighouse & Rastrick, Alan Morrison, 16
    9. Hepworth (Cookson Homes), Ian Porthouse, 17
    10. Whitburn, Steven Mead, 9
    11. Scottish Co-op, Andrew Duncan, 13
    12. Flowers, David Hirst, 14
    13. BTM, Nigel Boddice, 7
    14. Desford Colliery, Nigel Seaman, 3
    15. Fairey, Philip Chalk, 8
    16. YBS Band, Morgan Griffiths, 5
    17. Rothwell Temperance, David Roberts, 2
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Congratulations to Wilky and Fodens :clap:

(and to Leyland on their placing following requalification - great job :biggrin:)
  4. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I wasn't able to go this year but it seems a bit of a shock at the bottom. Fairey, YBS and Desford in the bottom 4!
    Is it the bottom 2 down?
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Not necessarily, I think there's a bit of a previous year's thing goes on as well, but it doesn't look for YBS.........
  6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Well done Kirkie way to go.....congrats to the winners also
  7. StefkeUK

StefkeUK New Member

From my quick calculation, Flowers and Rothwel are down. In fact there is a tie between YBS and Rothwell with result from last year. But if we take the 2006 resukts then it's definatelly Flowers (Pollysteel) and Rothwell.

We will see
  8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

why 2006? i thought it was based on a 2 year thing. I'd have thought either 2 bands would stay up or the 2 bands would go down.

Or will only one go down due to the demise of Sellers and they do what the yorkshire area did.

Anyhow, well done Fodens an glyn.
  9. StefkeUK

StefkeUK New Member

I only said that because if we take 2007 and 2008 result, YBS and rothwell have both 26 points. and the only band having more is Flowers (polystell) with 30. so there is a tie for the second band going down. Whcih is why they might have to go back up to 2006. This is only my tought. I don't know the rules. i just hope they won't do a ballot between the two.
  10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

or they could do it on this years result if it is to be 1 which goes down which still would mean rothwell are down.
  11. StefkeUK

StefkeUK New Member

We will see. I assume there will have clear rules about that. Whatever hapend, we can already say that this year will see one "big" band going down. That will make the Grand Shield a bit more interresting next year.
  12. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

There are indeed clear rules - see THIS site - which state:

"Demotion from The British Open is defined by adding together the aggregate placing for the last two years. The two Bands with highest aggregate will be demoted.
    If after the aggregate as been collated more than one band shares the 2nd demotion place the band who is placed lowest in the current years contest will be deemed one to be demoted. "
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The 'Open Rules' don't really seem to cover the Sellers' "qualifying band no longer exists" situation though, which is strange as it's happened before (Swinton concert in ?1993) or the "failure to compete" problem (Yorkshire Imps, though not the band's fault).

There is a clause stating "The Contest Management reserves the right to increase or decrease the numbers in each section as and when required. The Contest Managements decision is final." but this doesn't explain whether this is done by demoting just one band; demoting two but promoting three; or by giving the non-palying band a 'nominal last place' and applying the usual aggregate rule (which could, depending on the band's previous placing, defer the numbers correction for a further year).
  14. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I have just got back and it was a great day, the testpiece was really enjoyable to listen to. I have to agree with the adjudicators on the bottom 3 though, I had Desford a bit higher but still. I had Cory down for a win, but it was so difficult to decide between the top 5 that whoever one was going to deserve it!! Well done ladies and gentlemen!!!!
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Did not hear all the bands today as i did not get there till 1ck .
    But the best result of the day was
    MAN UTD 1

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that Ian. Very useful :roll:
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

From comments today, I heard that Flowers (Polysteel) have to compete in the Grand Shield next year. Still not too sure about the other band ... a few of them thought they were for the drop.
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Thoroughly enjoyed the contest today; what a belting piece. Absolutely superb. Heard 14 bands, unfortunately missed Hepworth, BTM and Faireys. Well done Fodens :clap:, Leyland and Kirkintilloch - I was very impressed with their performance, having not heard the band for years :oops: and not knowing much about them.

Interesting result in some ways; I had Desford a lot higher, and I mean in the prizes. They lack the meaty sound of some other bands, but yet again Mr Seaman conjured an interpretation of real musical merit from the band, full of class and polish. Obviously the men in the box didn't see it that way, but it was a tough field to separate today so maybe it came down to splitting hairs.

My top 6:
    Black Dyke

There seemed to be a bit of confusion this year about when bands could start playing - Andy Duncan launched straight in without waiting for the announcer or checking if the adjudicators were ready, and Selmer Simonsen didn't seem sure sure whether he could start or not. :confused: I couldn't work out why from upstairs, was the box light not working?
  20. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

That is the exact same result I had!!! Were we sitting in the same place, maybe it sounded different from the box!!