British Open - Are You Going/your Prediction?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Just wondering who's going to the Open. Instead of a yes/no - how about 1) Are you playing (if so , who with) or watching 2) Are you supporting a band or particular person? 3) Predict your top six and one dark horse

*Don't mention what a band is playing by the way

I'll start

1) Yes, with Rothwell
    2) Will try to hear as many bands as time allows but will be interested to see if YBS can retain the their title. Also, hope some mates playing with other bands have a good day too.
    3) 1. YBS 2. B&R 3. Cory 4. Dyke 5.Fodens 6. Faireys Dark Horse: Desford

2. NAS

NAS Member

1) Yes, I will be playing with Frickley.
    2) Not supporting any band really.
    3) My predictions are... 1. YBS 2. Cory 3. Fodens 4. B&R 5. Dyke 6. Tredegar Dark Horse: Whitburn

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  3. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

Will be there playing with Scottish Co-op. Too hard to make predictions because I don't know what every band is playing...

4. yes I am going to Open, playing with Desford, don't know who will win, but tonight will be my first rehearsal. It will be a great day, in fact a great week

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

1) Yes, I'll be going - only to listen though
    2) Not supporting any band in particular, but expecting to hear some good stuff from YBS, Dyke, BAYV, and looking forward to seeing how Dalewood match up. Also, waiting to see if Tredegar, Whitburn & Scottish Co-op can build on recent successes. I reckon picking when to take a break could be difficult this year!
    3) Predictions: YBS, BAYV, Dyke, Dalewood, Whitburn, Tredegar

I'm hoping to hear all three test piece options, but only time will tell ;)

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

True it all depends what the Adjudicators are looking for , also will the thought be " Contest music is not as difficult as Montage or St Magnus "
    I won't be there.
    here are my predictions ( which might be wrong ).
    1.Black Dyke
    2.Brighouse
    3.YBS
    4.CWS Glasgow
    5.Grimethorpe
    6.Fairey FP

Good Luck all at the Open.

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

1) Yes, ybs
    2) Not really.. would be interested to see how the NZ'ers do though.
    3) ybs, brighouse, dyke, cory, co-op, faireys. Dark horse: Dalewool

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No I'm not going... ('cos I'm going to be at Exmouth contest)
    My predictions are:
    YBS, B&R, Dyke, Cory, Whitburn, Fodens...

Dark Horse: Faireys/Scottish Co-op.... and everyone else ;)
    Hard to tell because we dont know what they are playing... but I reckon it's going to be a close contest all round... Good luck to all playing... look forward to hearing about the results!

:-D

9. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Yep - middle of the stalls for us
    Predicting wise just that the top 3 will all play the same

10. Scott

Scott New Member

1.) Yeah, am playing with Whitburn - i'm an open 'virgin' so i'll hopefully have a good time
    2.) hope to hear as many bands as possible... if i can afford the ticket in... (poor student)
    3.) Dunno... is very hard to tell without knowing who is playing what. 3 very good pieces though!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Rothwell 2
    YBS 2
    B&R 3
    Cory 4
  12. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

hey scott...if you can get your ticket before the contest. I tried getting one on the day last year and they were sold out :(

13. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

1. Nope
    2. Nope
    3. YBS, Cory, Black Dyke, Brighouse, Dalwool, Sellers, Dark Horse Fodens

14. Deano

Deano Member

1) Yes I'll be there, up in the god's somewhere.
    2) not supporting any particular band but will be hoping for a good show from the Welsh bands (Tredegar, Cwmaman & BAYV).
    3) all depends on what the bands choose to play, but I predict that the winners and the majority of the higher placed bands will play St Magnus.

15. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

1) I'll be there, in the audience

2) I'm a supporter of Black Dyke, but I also like Fodens, Grimethorpe, and YBS, I would like to see Reg Vardy (Ever Ready) do well,and I will be very interested in hearing Dalewool.

3) YBS, Buy as you View , Black Dyke, Fodens, Grimethorpe, Brighouse & Rastrick, dark horse Dalewool.

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

If you are wanting to get a ticket on the day, get there very early as I got one of the last available last year.
    Also, if you are going in a group and have got got a ticket, you probably won't end up being sat together.

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You can also sometimes pick up returns on the day, when people have booked more tickets than they've actually needed.

18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

My advice (as long as Symphony Hall staff are not watching) would be to buy a single ticket now from the box office: there are that many empty seats in the hall (many who buy a ticket do not stay in for most of the day) that you don't have to remain glued to your seat...if you know what I mean!

Not condoning it, but I know one individual who watched the Open last year without a ticket - they could not get a ticket on the day but knew there would be empty seats inside so snook in with the crowd. No, it was not me!

19. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'll be there - I'll get a ticket on the day, as it's worked for the past three years, and the acoustics are great in the hall even from the very back row.

20. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

1. Yes
    2. Not supporting anybody in particular
    3. Guesses:

1. Black Dyke
    2. Grimethorpe
    3. Cory
    4. YBS
    5. Fodens
    6. Sellers

Dark Horse: Scottish Co-Op

Igg

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

1) Yes - 28 of us coming up from darkest Deiniolen
    2) A bit of a soft spot for YBS - my bro used to play for them, as does my brother-in-law and an old friend from school!
    3) Guesses:

1. YBS
    2. BAYV
    3. Brighouse
    4. Fodens
    5. Dyke
    6. Scottish Co-Op
    Dark Horse: Tredegar

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Rothwell 2