British Open 2015

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ilovespheres, Apr 27, 2015.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the performances will be available for (legitimate) download? Eg: From WoB.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so, as it was the BBC who was doing the recording for Listen to the Band.

3. Martin Portman

Martin Portman New Member

By having two such different styles/genres at the two principal contests, the listening public as well as the competing bands are being provided with diversity and thereby - choice - surely a good thing. I heard all 18 performances of Reflections on Swan Lake last Saturday and I never lost interest for a moment. It also did what test pieces are supposed to do, provided a real test for players and conductors alike. Music doesn't have to be avant garde/atonal/serial etc. to be defined as original or contemporary. Stephen Roberts was also responding to a clear brief in accepting the commission as he explained at the end of the contest. Spiriti is not my cup of tea (yes I have listened to it - very closely), but I'm perfectly accepting of it being chosen for the finals. But there must be room for all tastes and I would observe that the Brass Band world is particularly fortunate in having a wonderful musical legacy to draw on - something it doesn't do enough in my opinion. By the way, what is so wrong about a good tune? I hold a Masters degree in music and several diplomas and I still enjoy a 'jolly good tune!'

midlandman and ilovespheres like this.