British Open 2015

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by ilovespheres, Apr 27, 2015.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the performances will be available for (legitimate) download? Eg: From WoB.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't think so, as it was the BBC who was doing the recording for Listen to the Band.

3. Martin Portman

Martin Portman New Member

By having two such different styles/genres at the two principal contests, the listening public as well as the competing bands are being provided with diversity and thereby - choice - surely a good thing. I heard all 18 performances of Reflections on Swan Lake last Saturday and I never lost interest for a moment. It also did what test pieces are supposed to do, provided a real test for players and conductors alike. Music doesn't have to be avant garde/atonal/serial etc. to be defined as original or contemporary. Stephen Roberts was also responding to a clear brief in accepting the commission as he explained at the end of the contest. Spiriti is not my cup of tea (yes I have listened to it - very closely), but I'm perfectly accepting of it being chosen for the finals. But there must be room for all tastes and I would observe that the Brass Band world is particularly fortunate in having a wonderful musical legacy to draw on - something it doesn't do enough in my opinion. By the way, what is so wrong about a good tune? I hold a Masters degree in music and several diplomas and I still enjoy a 'jolly good tune!'

midlandman and ilovespheres like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice