British Open 2005... official results from tMP...

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Doing pretty well amigo , will see you in Pontins no doubt mate...
    still back on topic , YBS 3rd place at the 1995 open is the one of the highest after qualifying from the Grand Shield , was a brilliant performance really unlucky not to win to be honest they should have won the 1994 Grand Shield but thats another controvertial topic to be discussed on another day!!!!!

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Neither am I.
    I'm sure WWI had no malicious intent, however...

3. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Give over Jayne. Just kidding mate!

And Kepp?? When have you known me to be malicious???

Sheesh! Crack your faces you two ;)

4. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

There was no need to say it though. I wished you all luck before the contest and congratulated the band after the results. I wouldn't think of trying to make some sly comment about getting a bad result. I hope next year Hepworth don't feel the same as Sellers do right now.

5. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Hate to say it WWI but here is an example:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9568

Your message to Jayne did not seem to contain any malice but maybe links like the above may explain why you may be misunderstood from time to time!

Back to topic - How about Faireys? I did not hear them.....are they back on track? Their result would suggest so.

6. Well Worth It

And the relevance of that thread....?

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Come on come on everyone... 'tis only a thread on a www site (a good site though;)), no need to get upset... only opinions...

Smile...:):biggrin:

8. Well Worth It

:clap:

9. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

...but if it was me making comments like that, i'd probably have been threatened with a ban by now. rules for one, rules for another....:rolleyes:

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

No no no SB... that's simply not fair. You'd have been banned....:):):) hehehe just kiddin... (how cruel am I eh;))

I hope there's some untruth in your words though as I would not like to think that you have been unfairly treated in the past. If you genuinley have a gripe, give us a shout yeah...:)

11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I didn't hear any bands on Saturday and so I won't make any comment on whether placings were right or wrong. I accept that we were rather chuffed with our position and also that other bands may feel they were short-changed.

However, while we all love moaning about our results, shall we accept that 3 men in a box with a bucket have the decision and no amount of chat will change that!

Every performance had its good points I'm sure - so what were the best bits of the lower places?????

Rach x

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Brighouse & Rastrick, who won the Open on their debut appearance in 1929.

13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Is it the same Brighouse and Rastrick who were unplaced at the 1916 Open and first appeared in 1890 ( Brighouse and Rastick temperance )?

14. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

And when did you see anyone moan about their result??

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just a few more thoughts and observations from Saturday - just personal views, not with any other "hat" on:

Desford: It felt as if they were a little unprepared, were not convinced by the piece, and, having drawn No 1, had almost decided just to go through the motions The trombones were far too genteel when marked "rough" and, although the euphonium played well, he was well above the dynamic written.

Hepworth: As I said before, I was impressed with their performance, excellent euph & good trombones and horns. Although some commented that they were a little loud I wasn't conscious of that, feeling they paid due attention to the marks.

Whitburn: Heard the pedal G from the BBb bass for the first time - maybe because it is currently my instrument I found it was something I was listening out for. I thought the sop slip could prove costly, & the 2nd euph cadenza was a little dodgy. They had placed the percussion to the side, and much more of the playing came over the band.

Grimethorpe: Really brought out the humour; very expressive throughout, and the best solo horn that far. Certainly set the benchmark, although I felt later performances edged them out a bit.

Brighouse & Rastrick: Few euph slips; I felt it was a better performance than some did, but nothing special and certainly nowhere near Grimethorpe.

Fairey (FP) Music: I didn't think the percussion were quite on the ball, but Riki McDonnell was first-class, without the intrusive vibrato that I felt was too prominent when he was with the National Band of New Zealand.

Brass Band of Central Florida: Was glad to see they didn't feeze on stage, and gave of their best. Felt it was a fairly secure reading, but nothing to write home about. I would possibly have had them a little higher in the rankings, but can't really say having not heard all the bands.

Ashton Under Lyne: Again, a good effort, but without so much in the way of characterisation.

Black Dyke: Right from the start, they seemed to take control, bringing out aspects not heard before, with excellent work from trombones and euphonium, but uncharacteristic slips from soprano. Definitely on top at this stage.

YBS: Despite a few slips, a performance to challenge for the prizes, but not up to Dyke's standard. Sheona White nailed the top "C" beautifully. Their percussion was set back from the band, with the effect of stopping any muffling from the band in front.

Scotish Co-op: The euphs and baritones sounded a little muddy, and there was less magic in the quieter sections. Also, the cornet & trom seemed slightly out of sync at the end - a problem which beset a few bands on the day.

BAYV: More magic and an atmospheric reading; really quiet playing keeping you on the edge of your seats, and none of the brashness that has marred their playing on occasions in the past. I definitely had David Childs down for the soloists' prize, secure, restrained and keeping to the marks. Trombones first class, and cornet/trom at the end spot on. I had them just ahead of Dyke, but only by a whisker.

Reg Vardy: A more rugged reading, but one which I liked. There was some uneasiness around the transition to the slower section, but the cornet section had a good, bright sound. I wouldn't have been surprised to see them in the top 6, and had them ahead of Faireys and Brighouse.

Fodens: Good, solid reading, with good work from the basses - you certainly wouldn't have known it was a newly-formed section. Soloists good, but not a threat to the leading three in my opinion.

Apologies to those bands I didn't hear: I would have been quite happy with any of the performances in a concert setting, and thought it was a good test. Just a pity that the state of the score meant you were still spotting things in the music right up to the last band - the 8ve basso signs were particularly hard to read. I thought on the whole, euphs and basses did very well, with some fine, lyrical playing. Best troms were those who took on board the humour in the music, as well as pushing the sound through the pedal notes - the 2nd trom with the Brass Band of Central Florida told me on the Sunday that he had played the whole piece on a borrowed bass trombone mouthpiece to help with the low stuff. Several solo horns muffed the top "c", but it was masked a little by other things going on at the time. Good day also for sopranos, most of whom handled the duet passages cleanly and clearly.

I liked the touches of Walton and Ravel in the score, and hope it won't just sit in the library, but will be played again: with adequte explanation - and the notes in the score are perfectly clear in that respect - it would be quite accessible for a concert audience at a music festival or similar event.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  16. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Do you mean Riki Mcdonnell on Euph for Faireys??

17. impycornet

impycornet Member

Nice write up Peter,

But I believe Mr Kilroy was with Desford and Fairey's euph seat was filled by Riki McDonnel ?

Could be wrong though ;)

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for pointing that out, folks - no prize for spotting it, though :clap:

19. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Please understand that I was talking in general, not about Saturday and I humbly apologise if I suggested you or anyone else has ever done so. That wasn't my intention.

There are often times where we feel rightly or wrongly that our band deserved a better place. I'm NOT TALKING ABOUT HEPWORTH'S PLACE ON SATURDAY HERE. When I've played with other bands we've occasionally felt "robbed" and had a good moan afterwards.

Many apologies once again for suggesting it, I'll shut up and go and hide - wake me up when it's time for my cocoa tonight please ;)

Rach x

20. Di

Di Active Member

There's no need to hide Rach. :rolleyes: You're right, well all love to have a grumble about our results, and no matter what we say, we can't change them. And no, I didn't see any finger pointing. ;)