British Open 2005... official results from tMP...

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

Had another good day at Birmingham - really enjoyed the test-piece.

Personally I had a top 3 of BAYV, Grimethorpe and Dyke - in that order. BAYV had everything for me - including excellent soloists, while Grimethorpe's performance had that something different - a real swagger - and to me it made so much sense. Dyke were Dyke, I just didn't have the same feeling of 'wow' as I had from the other two.

I must also mention the excellent Euph playing by Hepworth's solo euph - superb.

On a side note, anyone had the misfortune of buying a short score? Thankfully I didn't, but I did sneak a look at my mate's - now there's a con if ever there was one. £5 for something you could barely read - having squeezed four pages of the score to each page of A4 - and then you got to the centre of thing - only to be greeted by 4 sides of adverts - in the middle of the piece! It was difficult enough trying to follow the music with it being as small as it was, but having to faff around because of adverts was taking the proverbial I think.

2. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Agreed those responsible for that idea should hang their head in shame.
    The 4 pages adverts were immediatly discarded, but even so the print was plain stupid.

Good job they didn't dim the lights at all!!

Otherwise excellent weekend

3. I agree with Dyl (good to see you there by the way) Grimethorpe had something about their style that made me think (even after hearing Dyke) they had a real chance of a top place. I think the right band won, as well as the right soloist. What a fantastic sound that euph made.

I bought a short score, and after following it three times needed eye surgery!!!

My fifth time at the open, always a great contest.

4. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

I think Grimey should have been in the top ten, but no more than that. Theirs was a lack lustre performance with too many slips. I sat right next to the box for their performance and after a few minutes the adjudicators did an awful lot iof talking through it, so I don't think they were that impressed.

Do you not think there is a bit of..'ooh this is Grimey, they ARE good' and then that colours your thoughts afterwards, no matter how they played? Brighouse started very, very well but the soloists had a bad day at black rock and that cost them. Grimey were never in it for me, and to even consider they were in the running for top three is crazy. So no, I don't think the adjudicators should be ashamed of themselves.

YBS were never going to win as they also had to many slips...for me it was always between Cory and Dyke. Dyke was very technical and precise, Cory was very musical and warm...you could see this in the two different conducting styles. Ultimately I think it was down to what the lads in the box wanted and it seemed technical won through - it was a hard choice but I still thought it was going to be Dyke though.

Talking to some of the Dyke peeps I know, they said they were just a little miffed because they thought they could've give a bit more. Imagine that. Excellent!

I think the real talking point for me though was Ashton...they gave a very solid performance and were placed second last - rubbish!! They were at least equal to Scottish Co-op...I shall really look out for them next week at the Nationals!

5. Les Wood

Les Wood Member

Had a good day at the Open and really enjoyed rehearsing and playing the piece. Managed to hear 9 of the bands including those placed top 3, but of all the ones I heard I had Grimethorpe as winners. I know we were disappointed with our final placing, but the Grimey guys must feel pretty low.

Les Wood
    Kirkintilloch Band

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Thanks Ian - great day for us all. Glad to get a result on the biggest stage to back up the progress the band has made in recent years.

7. L J

L J Member

British Open 2005

Thanks to all of you for the great comments. Being on the West Coast of Canada, it is interesting to read the comments and opinions of what went on last Saturday.
    One thing that I notice nobody has commented about is the piece itself.
    Did anybody leave 'whistling the tune(s)? Was the music a good listen?
    Was it a difficult piece to play?
    I would imagine Bramwell Tovey was their, for I don't think he was in town here in Vancouver for Symphony. (I don't think they performed this past weekend.)
    What did he think of the music and how it came across?
    Somebody previously alluded to the fact that some of the parts were covered by others than those who should of played. Did the judges notice that, and if they did, was the band penalised?

Just some enquiring thoughts from afar?

8. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I agreed with the adjudicators apart from Grimethorpe not being in the top 6. I thought their performance (and not just because they are Grimey Mr Bogtrotter!! ;) , some of us do have the ability to not be swayed by a name)

I thought Hepworth and Rothwell put in really good performances and was also impressed by Fairey's

I thought the applause that Dyke got wasn't just becasue of the performance (stunning as it was), but I can't see it would have swayed the adjudicators even if the crowd had started chanting their name!

I was really dissapointed with Brighouse's performance and was slightly suprised they got 7th, I thought Hepworth had the better performance on the day

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Nice to see some quick action by the publishers today: http://www.brassbandworld.com/news/news_2005/sep2005_winwood_apology.htm

Still doesn't hide the fact that a lot of people paid £5 for something which they could not make use of!

10. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Mmmm...just wondering - in no way am I suggesting that people can't think for themselves...more as to why I seemed to think it wasn't that special and I seem to be in the minority.

Still, at least I'm right!!! Hahaha!;)

I think Brighouse had a really exciting start.....but there were a few bands who were better overall, such as Ashton.:clap:

11. Rob

Rob Member

??

12. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I enjoyed the piece although it took at least 3 performances to get into it.

Well done to all the euph players - what a nightmare it was for them.

For the contest I sat in the choir seats and had a great opportunity to hear all that was going on, (and the rushing around in the perc departments - it was almost panic stations for some). However, for the concerts the next day, I sat where the adjudicators tent was for the contest. Suprising how different it was back there.

I heard 11 bands and, out of those I heard, had it between Dyke and Cory. I missed Grimey but heard from many people that they were excellent. Cory gave what I thought was a really restrained performance (compared to other performances I have heard them give) and they sounded better for it (in fact David Child's euph solo on the sunday concerts was some of the best playing I have heard for some time - both soloist and band). From the choir seats, Dyke's performance had real atmosphere - especially the really quiet playing at the end.

Overall, I thought it was a great weekend.

Igg

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll post more tomorrow when I've got more time, but I reckon it was the best day's contesting I've been at for some time. Missed a couple of bands, but all those I heard gave valid readings, with some really special. Very impressed with Hepworth, who really seemed to bring the piece to life; also rather liked Ray Farr's more robust reading with Reg Vardy, but definitely between Dyke & BAYV for me - could have gone the other way on another day, but both brought out the lyricism without too many blemishes.

Overall, it was good to hear bands try to play quietly, including soloists, although only a handful really nailed the pedal G on the Bb bass. Good trombone playing , which was one of the features I found myself listening out for.

14. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Does anyone know the highest place gained by a debut band?

15. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

YBS 3RD 1995 Revelation after they had won the 1995 grand shield , they should have won the 1994 Grand Shield but that is another story,they was close to be honest they had the best soloists on the day , great band sound really unlucky not to win , highest debut tho..mmmm dunno apart from the winner of the 1st open back in 1856 ;)

16. Well Worth It

I KNEW I had to put "apart from the inaugural competition".
    Cheers Nick, hows it going mate?

17. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Not sure if it was their first appearance or not, but didn't Cwmamman get a 5th following qualification from the Shield in 2002?

18. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Hey Alex! Sellers got 5th last year after qualifying in the 2004 Shield, and Raf also won best soloist with us.

Jayne x

19. Well Worth It

Now then Jayne.
    At least it'll keep you in for next year! ;)

20. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

If that's meant to be some sort of dig at my band, that I'm very proud of, then I'm really not laughing.