British Film Institute

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Jan 4, 2016.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I read on 4BarsRest about two movies of Brighouse & Black Dyke being released by the British Film Institute. Unfortunately, when I click on the links I'm advised that the movies can only be viewed in the UK. That doesn't make much sense to me, does anyone know why that might be? Also, is there any (legal) way around that?
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

A lot of the time, it is caused by the music being played rather than the film itself - you see this a lot on YouTube as well.
    There is no legal way around this to my knowledge.
    What I can tell you is what a lot of expats do to get around a similar problem and that is to use an app such as Tunnel Bear which changes your IP address to one that looks like it is in the UK (or anywhere else you choose for that matter). As to whether or not you are breaking the law by using a tool that routes you though a VPN to view the BFI content is I suspect not your legal problem - downloading it might well be though. (Tunnel Bear is available as a Chrome Extension btw). Anyone one here expert in this area that can add to that?

3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Thank you. Maybe I'll just wait until my next visit to the UK; hopefully this spring.

4. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Just use a proxy service (free or paid). :) I use one to see all regions on Netflix for instance.