British Bandsman - Unsolicited

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidsait, Dec 7, 2004.

1. davidsait

davidsait Member

Did anyone else receive an unsolicited copy of the British Bandsman magazine in the post today?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Bandsman - Unsolicited
    Bandsman
    British Bandsman magazine
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

Good. Wasn't just me then.

Next question. Anyone know where they got our contact details from?

5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I did too.

I just thought it was because I hadn't renewed my subscription and they were just trying to persuade me to 're-join'.

Mine also came with a bargain 'offer' that if you subscribe you will get a free copy of the Now That's What I Call Music II CD.

I must say, though, that this edition (27th November) looks like it was the first proper edition under the new management and I can certainly see an improvement already. Will keep my eye on this one ;)

6. Heather

Heather Member

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. davidsait

davidsait Member

Hmm. I notice also that Iwan Fox and Anthony Banwell have joined the team. I wonder if the Bandsman has taken over 4BR? If so, this could be the culprit as I've bought CD's through them in the past.

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

BB was purchased by SP&S a few months ago. This offer sounds same as one they've been running on www.worldofbrass.com - I ordered 4 CDs and got a copy of Now That's What I Call Brass II as a freebie.

9. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Wouldnt this come under the reign of the Data Protection Act??
    Using customer information for purposes other than it was given??

I didnt get a copy tho and ive bought stuff from their site before....hmmm, maybe the postman is still trying to get through border control at Carlisle :-D

Jane

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

:( I asked nicely for one... but alas.... I guess I don't qualify...:(

11. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Has anybody actually asked the guys at 4BR to see if they know anything about it ?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Bandsman - Unsolicited
    Bandsman
    British Bandsman magazine
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We need to be careful about connecting 4br's name to this - they might not have anything to do with it, or know anything about it - so please let's refrain from making assumptions.

In answer to the question - no I didn't get one either - maybe John and I haven't been good boys in the past year and Santa didn't deliver one to us :rolleyes:

14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmmm... :p now I wonder what on earth the connection is there then.... hmmmmm...:)

15. MAW

MAW Member

yes I got one and I already subscribe to it. Have done for years. :confused:
    hey ho .must be something to do with the season of good will. :biggrin:

16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I got one too - I assumed it was a cross-promotional thing through World of Brass / SP&S. If anyone wants one, they can have mine (if they ask nicely). I have no need for it - the music office I work for has a subscription!

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I got one; I'm fairly certain 4BR don't have my details ... (certainly don't recall having bought anything from them)

I assumed it was because I'm on the WoB mailing list ... ??

Certainly won't be subscribing, anyway; apart from anything else, I found two spelling/grammatical mistakes in the first 4 pages (must be the 4BR influence ... )

G.

18. critic

critic Member

I Dont think the bandsman as taken over 4barsrest .the 4 bars rest site will be seperateand independent as usual thats what ive heard.

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If I may be permitted to respond on behalf of 4barsrest, they are not involved in any way with the present promotion of the British Bandsman and have pledged that the site will retain its independence from any other organisation, commercial or otherwise. Any work that Anthony or Iwan do on behalf of the British Bandsman will be carried out on a free-lance basis, and they would definitely not pass over any contact details they may have to anyone else.

You may be interested to read the December editorial, which touches on the future plans:

http://4barsrest.com/editorial/ed016.asp

20. davidsait

davidsait Member

Thanks for that reply Peter. It answers a question that I hadn't got around to asking re: the editorial link between 4BR and the Bandsman.

It's looking like the most likely source for the unsolicited magazine is probably a promotion via World of Brass. I've emailed the Bandsman and asked them for the source of my address.

21. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Sorry, John.
    This is my fault!
    I didn't realise that I had 3 PMs and only dealt with the first one. I'll get the BB office to send you a copy a.s.a.p.

22. MAW

MAW Member

mine certainly didn't come through any connection with 4barsrest or WoB. Maybe it was because I used to be the secretary of a Band. But that was over 2 years ago.
    It's anyones' guess. :dunno