British Bandsman Subscriber or not.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Dec 12, 2004.

Have you given up subscribing/reading the British Bandsman ?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
  2. No

13 vote(s)
  1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Have you given up reading/receiving the British Bandsman ?
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Never have subscribed / seen it regularly - despite it being published in the area I live nowadays. Don't know many people who do...

Met a lady from the BB a while ago, and she was very negative about tMp too which didn't exactly make me want to subscribe!
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I must admit.

No i have not but to be honest the British Bandsman as been a bit HIT&MISS this year, some weeks it is not worth the money with LOADS of adverts in, which does not really make you want to read it.:-(
    I look forward to it when i put some news in about our band(GRESLEY) but some weeks there is not much in.:-?
    I have the Brass Band World as well on the whole it is ok aas the contest reports are very good.:)
    But for upto date infomation of what is going on i use 4 BARS REST.:-D
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For me to subscribe again, I will have to see what sort of format it is really going to be. I'm hoping that more historical features will prevail, giving the whole movement a good feel of the traditions and changes throughout it's time. Articles from historians, retired players and the like to authentically show differences between now and then. I feel the freebie was an attempt to create more sales for CDs during this festive period more than anything else and doesn't reflect on the planned layout.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and... it would seem - given that at the time of my posting this you have 291 more posts on tMP than you have comments on 4BR - that you also therefore quite frequently use tMP too.... ;)
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I am not a subscriber and have no intention of ever being one.

Whilst I was at university (Huddersfield) I read every issue of BB that arrived (there was a subscription for the university), along with every other relevant magasine and journal. Where other publications always won over BB was in the articles that they published. There were quality articles written by people who really knew and understood both their subject and the readership.
    From what I have seen of BB over the years it has become a publication of results and advertising. There are some very fine players in the brass band world and many of them could be writing quality articles, but that doesn't seem to be where BB's interests lie.

We have 4 Bars Rest, tMP, and many other online venues where you can find out almost anything about brass playing, often from players greatly superior to those you will encounter on a daily basis. These players are willing to offer experience and knowledge at no cost - you just can't beat that sort of environment.

Do you need to read BB to discover the results of a contest?
    Heck no - by the time the contest has started there are already online discussions about the performances. The results are usually available online mere minutes after they have been announced.

Do you need to read BB to discover about the new music that is advertised?
    No - almost everything has been reviewed somewhere, especially if it is new.

Do you need to read BB to read a review of a CD you probably won't be buying?
    Nope - you ask a question on tMP about whether CD X is any good and within a couple of days you will have a variety of opinions, you can then pick and choose who you choose to believe, rather than rely upon the words and opinions of a single reviewer.

With all the online resources at our disposal, I (for one) would prefer to save my money.
  7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I will not be re-newing my subscription (after 18 years!).
    The constant SP&S and World of Brass unsolicited mail shots are becoming annoying and embarrassing......No I don`t want a Sally Bash fleece!

Please someone rescue my hobby from this "shadowy organisation"

Ian Heard.
  8. peatair

peatair Member

In my view, British Bandsman has little to say about bands beneath the Championship Section and, even within that section, concentrates on just a few. Recent editions have even concentrated on just a few select "superstars." If the magazine is to remain relevant then it needs a much greater coverage of banding. I am a subscriber but often wonder why!!
  9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I've never been subscribed to it. I've read it a few times at band and it doesn't really do it for me. I get BBW though, much more interesting. Mainly due to the cartoons appealing to my odd sense of humour
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've been a reader of BB for some time, (initially reading 2nd-hand copies from our own Brian Kelly) but I did hesitate over renewing my subscription last year. I decided to keep it on, but am not sure whether it will be renewed again. I do feel that the deciding factor is likely to be the range of background articles and features they decide to include, rather than the news that we normally get first via the net.

Currently I pass on my copies of BB in exchange for a friend's Brass Band World, and also subscribe to the Brass Herald, the copies of which I tend to keep whole for future reference, whereas from the others it may just be the occasional cutting. I must confess that I am an avid reader of the reviews, not least to see whether their views coincide with mine if there are any items I've been asked to do, but I do feel some of the reviews seem more like "advertorials" rather than giving a more objective view that will really help the prospective purchaser.
  11. jo

jo Member

having recieved the mysterious free copy and flicking through I would not subscribe. 4BR, tmp and brass band world all do a far better job at reporting, have more interesting articles and, most importantly, an unbiased view of the bands they report on be it in concert or contest.
    As for the BB website...last updated when? well the report for Butlins mineworkers on their homepage is for the contest I attended last year...says it all.....maybe the change in management will modernise the magazine and bring it firmly onto the web.
  12. bennem

bennem Member

I have been a subscriber for about 4 years but have now given it up as quite simply it has become rubbish. As has been said below you can go for weeks on end without there being a single interesting article.

Quite simply there are only so many time I can read yet another contest analysis....
  13. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

We used to get it but to call it a magazine is a bit of an overstatement - more like a pamphlet!

I don't think it's good value for money in the main....

We don't get anything at the moment....
  14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I don't get a copy myself but the Band Club does, whenever i take a look it just makes me more convinced that i don't need to subscribe
  15. Bariman

Bariman Member

Yes I subscribe - up for renewal in June time so we'll see.

But what everyone seems to have missed in their comments is that no one seems to be wanting to give the new editorial team a chance before criticising them. If in 6 months time the BB is still producing an 8 page "magazine" and charging £1 an issue for it - note the new price - then by all means start moaning but until then let's give them some encouragement.

Why not write to them and tell them the sort of things you, the punter, would like to see. If they ignore your comments be it on their head.
  16. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

'Shadowy organisation'?....SP&S seem to have been upfront about what they are doing