British Bandsman - A Different Perspective

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chippy_Cornet, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Chippy_Cornet

Chippy_Cornet Member

Rather than having a debate (as is already happening on this web-site) as to the merits of SA v Non SA Editor for this newspaper. I thought it might be more productive if everyone has opportunity to be constructive and comment on what they would like to see in the British Bandsman in the future.

For myself it would have to be the following:

1. Reports on Bands/Personalities/Events.

2. Be up to date not weeks behind on news/results.

3. Have good editorial features to promote debate in the banding community.

4. Encourage good advertising to keep us all informed of what is happening and when.

I am not suggesting that this is or isn't currently in BB - merely what would make me interested in reading it. If the overall impression was of a fresh, relevant and well put together paper - i don't think it will struggle to sell.

What does anyone else thing - please keep it constructive!!
  2. peatair

peatair Member

Currently there is something like a 95% bias toward the Championship Section and to certain "Superstar" players. An interested visitor from Mars could be forgiven for thinking that they were all there is in banding. I would like to see a more rounded coverage of the brass band world. Also, fuller reviews of new brass compositions / arrangements to assist us to spend our hard earned money wisely.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I think it is fair to say that most of us might each aspire one day to attaining these levels, and it is of course wonderful to read about our great bands, their successes, failures and indeed their star players. However... it is not so wonderful when this is ALL that can be read about in the media or in most brass publications all of the time...!!

This was one of the reasons I started tMP - 95% of coverage in the media was focussed on 5% of the people involved. Most certainly a statistic that is the wrong way around eh...:)
  4. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

What about having a 'page three' - that would liven it up!

5. jpbray

jpbray Member

Some thing on the lines of "The Calender Girls" may be. :p
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Yes ...but they'd all end up stood behind BBb basses rather than sops :-(
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think that not only should more attention get paid to lower section bands, but also bands outside of the NW/ Yorkshire.

It is quite refreshing to have a forum representing all sections of bands (contesting and non - SEE and well represented by region (SEE if not the world.

That is one of the reasons why (while I may check for quick results on 4bars or read a few sections in BBW/ BB) you'll always see me turn to tMP for the "true" or as is said in England "proper" bandsmen's (or women's) perspective.