British Army Flashmob Event, MetroCentre, Gateshead. Worth a look!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by burningbrass, Dec 8, 2013.

1. burningbrass

burningbrass New Member

Hello all,
    Thought I would share this with you. The link is below as is the commentary.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153585709400615

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GMP08Ulqk

British Army Musicians entertained unsuspecting Christmas shoppers in Gateshead's Metrocentre with a flashmob performance of festive music: "A Winter's Tale" (made famous by David Essex), followed by "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". The 60 professional musicians, Regular and Reserve, were drawn from The Heavy Cavalry and Cambrai Band, The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Band and The Royal Signals (Northern) Band.

The Corps of Army Music is the largest employer of professional musicians in the UK. Read more about what they do, and how to join the professionals, athttp://www.army.mod.uk/music.

The British Army offers world-class training and the opportunity to travel. Being a musician with the Corps of Army Music is just one of 220 roles available. Visithttp://www.army.mod.uk/join to find out about becoming a full-time or part-time soldier - and to complete your online application.

#armyflashmob

— at Metro Centre Gateshead.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Sounds like Kenny G doing a solo job with a school band #cringeworthy. If you want to hear a real military band listen to the Marines.

3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Glad you enjoyed it.

Merry Christmas

4. burningbrass

burningbrass New Member

Apologies for the size of the font. It didn't appear that big when I posted it!

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Reduced it a little for you :)

6. agent006

agent006 Member

I knew it. I just knew that the first comment here would be negative.

Well done to the users of TMP for yet again swiftly and accurately demonstrating the cripplingly negative "I know best, you won't please me so don't bother even trying" attitude that's killing banding.

7. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Ah yes but you are also forgetting that those who post negative comments are so much more musically superior to the rest of us and can do so much better themselves, lol! :)

8. simonium

simonium Member

And of course, hide behind anonymity. This particular troll is a bit more advanced though, because in amongst all the ****e, is the occasional thought-provoking post. In this instance he's reverted to type - a pillock.

9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Sorry, I was clearly wrong about the performance being a cringe-worthy effort that sounded like Kenny G playing with a (poor) school band. I in no way meant to demean the excellence of the world class professional musicians involved or question the incredibly high standard of their musicianship. I thought their hats were nice as well.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure how well these 'flash-mob' appearances by various military bands really go down with the public. It all seems very contrived to me, and I have to agree that the playing is often very mixed, not surprising given the obviously limited rehearsal time for such an event. When you consider the high standards set by the best of our forces musicians, I'm not sure this is the best way to advertise their wares.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Army
    Flashmob Event
    Gateshead
    MetroCentre
    Corps of Army Music
  12. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Well I'm glad you liked our hats.

13. One serious problem with that response, agent006, is that it is accompanied by a presupposition that negative comments are necessarily wrong. The idea, from psychology, that a positive outlook makes for a better life seems to have been hijacked by those who want to put down any hint of criticism, however valid it might be. Here is another post that is based on similarly baseless logic:

Having said all of that, I don’t see many such attacks on those that criticise Brighouse and Rastrick for their current Christmas record. Could it be that this is a case of “it’s the military, so what they do must be great”? Are some of us confusing respect for those who do a difficult job with a supposed duty never to notice any shortcomings in their efforts?

14. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

How true. Happy to put down someones efforts.
    CIAO. CORLEONE.