British Airways' bizzare and possibly racist act

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 15, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Saw the news last night and this morning and I must say I was totally gobsmacked and did not believe what I was watching. Where possible, I won't be looking to use BA for any flights in the future following what I consider their dispicable request to one of their staff members that she remove or hide a cross from around her neck - as BA suggested having this on show might be offensive to a certain ethnic minority. Phah... what popycock.

Personally, I find it absolutely repulsive, and totally disrespectful that this request was even made by BA, and won't be flying with them any more.

OK, I am of course, just the smallest fractional % of their revenue, but it has to start somewhere and someone has to say it, and there... I just did.

BA - you are a disgrace implementing policies such as this, and I only hope more people are of the same opinion as I, and where possible, they decide to no longer use your services because of it.

Your thoughts...?

2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

My opinion is that it is up to the company whether they have a policy or not. However any policy must be fair.
    The problem with the BA ruling is that it is one-sided. If you can hide the symbol you must cover it up but if you can't then its ok to wear it. Hence Sikhs can wear turbans, moslems can wear head scarves and hindus their forehead spot etc.
    That is just not on. If you have a policy it must be adhered to by everyone otherwise its tantamount to persecution of the few groups who can be affected by it. If it is unenforcable because it cannot accomodate everybody then simple you shouldn't have such a policy.

Perhaps BA should issue all its staff with a burkah so that no one can see what they are wearing underneath :-?

Just an aside - isn't a wedding ring a religious symbol? shouldn't married staff be asked to remove those too.

3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

[​IMG]

Mrs Eweda with the offensive article. This is not allowed

[​IMG]

But apparently this is.

Sorry to flippant but the policy is clearly stupid

4. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

BA are in the wrong and should admit to it. The country is going mad. :eek:

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According the report I read, their ruling is actually that all jewellery on chains should be worn under the clothing, although I suspect it's not been enforced before.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Exactly Peter. This has only been enforced now as a result of either (1) some politically correct twit within BA thinking that a cross worn around the neck could be offensive to some ethnic minority or (2) someone of ethnic minority complaining that a UK citizen wearing a cross is anti whatever their religion is.

Either way... it's total, total rubbish.

We need more people like John Howard I say, when in Rome.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You won't catch me wearing a toga with my knobbly knees :eek:

8. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I'm sorry but what a total over-reaction all this is. BA have quite clearly stated their rules apply to all neck jewellery - it is not specific.

And besides, I am sure that anyone who accepts a job gets a contract and a staff handbook. That handbook will quite clearly state the do's and don't and rights and wrongs of working. BA have said their dress code for all uniformed employees is such that neck jewellery must be hidden under their uniform. The woman in particular was breaking the company rules as far as their dress code is concerned as was asked to comply. She didn't. And now she thinks she has every right to cry religious discrimination. That is what is utter rubbish with this case.

I'm with BA on this on. If you work for a company you abide by their rules. If you don't like their rules you know where the door is.

9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I have to agree with this. Any job I know of had a handbook of enormous proportions stating everything to the letter. Necklaces (of any description) should not be worn at work at all anyway, they cause a choking hazard. We have guidelines that must be strictly adhered to according with jewellery, mainly for health and safety grounds.

Mountain and molehill methinks.

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

1: It isn't "racist". Racsim is discrimation on the basis of ethnic origin
    2: The woman in question was, as has been stated previously, fully aware of the company policy regarding jewellery. She breached it and is being disciplined. She has decided to play the religion card to try to avoid a disciplinary.
    3: There is no difference between this and the case of the female teaching assistant in Dewsbury who was suspended for refusing to remove her veil at work (which incidentally she appeared not to need to attend her interview). They are both using this "religious discrimination" cobblers to their advantage and if it isn't stopped here and now, we've all got problems.

Now I'm going to get really stroppy and controversial, so fundamentalists - look away now:

4: The sooner religion is removed from the daily life of this country the better. Having recently had to explain to my 4 year old daughter that she can't go to the same primary school as her best friend because she isn't Catholic and they therefore won't let her in, I have no truck with religion interfering in the daily life of the nation. The majority of this nation are not religious (check church attendances if you disagree), and to have this bizarre set of middle eastern superstitions thrown at us as an excuse for demanding special treatment or exemption from the rules the rest of us happily abide by is simply no longer acceptable.

Britain is now a secular nation, thankfully, and the sooner we make that the cornerstone of our society the happier the majority will be. An individual's religious beliefs are their own business, and from now on should remain precisely that. If any political party stepped forward offering an end to state funding of faith schools, a ban on religious dress or iconography in state schools and the disestablishment of the Church of England they'd get my vote tomorrow.

The BA case, far from being "political correctness gone mad", is actually a crucial test-case for those of us who are sick of the minority demanding special treatment because of their religious beliefs. Why should the company rules not apply to this woman simply because of her beliefs?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Airways
    BA
    dispicable request
    racist act
    course
  12. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

So much could be said. Suffice to ask though - do you celebrate christmas?

13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes. Why? Are you under the impression that Christmas is some sort of religious festival? ;)

14. OLIVE

OLIVE New Member

Not in Rochdale it isn't!

2 years ago the council were forced to take down the big blow up Father Christmas and the "Merry Christmas" banner from the town hall because the Muslim community complained!! :confused: :frown: :mad:

15. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I have to agree with pretty much everything you've said here. I think the issue is in double standards. There was almost an uprising in the middle east following Jack Straw's comments re the veils. If this woman lived and worked in Pakistan how many of us would take to the street after her civil liberties were questioned??

16. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Our country is going mad. :eek:

BRITISH airways should expect to see some of its passengers wearing crosses since our country is predominantly christian, just as if you flew with an asian airline (as an example), many passengers would be of different faiths and would likely be wearing symbols pertaining to that religion. If it was a safety issue, thats different but if it was merely a request to hide it for fear of offending someone thats ridiculous!

Truthfully, the majority of all faiths are quite happy to live alongside each other and arent offended by icons of other religious beliefs. It is in fact an number of busy bodies who think that it might be offensive, who go around saying stupid things like that.

For example
    There was a housing estate somwhere in England whose residents all got together and decorated their streets for christmas. They really went to town with lights, santas, reindeer the works. But then some busy body from the council decided it might be offensive to ethnic minorities and the estate had to remove all their decorations! It wasnt even a request from someone who was offended.

The problem is that this kind of attitude is breeding hate because these one sided rules are creating a feeling of unfairness, and its being allowed to happen. live and let live!

17. starperformer

starperformer Member

...but remember, your nearest exit may be behind you

18. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

As previous posters have said, she must have known the company's rules before she took the job. Totally agree with comments earlier that the sooner religion is out of public life the better. Its fine for people to be religious but don't foist it on others.

I do celebrate christmas in that it is a time I meet up with members of my family I don't see very often and share food and presents with them, at a time in the year that people for centuries have celebrated (lots before the christians nicked it), not because of a birth 2000 years ago.

19. starperformer

starperformer Member

are you saying that you are a pagan? or is it just that you prefer to take all the convenient bits of religious observance without any of the hassle?

20. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Just because you dont have a faith yourself doesnt mean that you cant adopt some elements of it that you feel have a good moral value.

21. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

No not a pagan. Was just pointing out that christians do not have exclusive rights to 25th December. Are you saying that I shouldn't visit my parents during a period when I am on holiday or send presents to friends and relatives just because I do not believe in a certain religion.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    British Airways
    BA
    dispicable request
    racist act
    course