Brit Awards 2007

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hell's_Trombone, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Wooooo the Brits are nearly here!! Not something I'd usually get excited about, but this year something special is happening!!!
    On 14th Feb I shall be getting a limo to London to Earl's Court to watch the Brits as a V.I.P!! Yes folks thats right, VIP!! I get the 5 course meal, free champagne, go to the aftershow party and stay in the same hotel as all the celebrities!!!! Certainly will be a couple of days to remember!! Watch out for me on telly!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So tell us how you managed that coup then?
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wow Kate I'm really envious...

I reckon the Brits this year is going to be one of the best ever - there is so much great British music around at the moment, and the nominations for the international categories are generally excellent too. Enjoy your night, and don't forget to tell us just how good it was. ;)
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Sounds an excellent night ahead for you Kate.

Are Mick Fleetwood & Sam Fox presenting this year?
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Ahh the memories....

From Wikipiedia's entry for the Brit Awards:

The Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood "car crash" (1989)

Until 1989, the BPI Awards were a spectacularly lifeless affair usually presented by Noel Edmonds and brimming with industry types and ageing Radio 1 DJs. In 1989 all that changed. In an attempt to add some excitement and appeal to the proceedings organizers decided to rename the awards to 'The Brit Awards' and came up with the idea of having Fleetwood Mac’s Mick Fleetwood and former page three girl Sam Fox as co-hosts of the live show. The results were indeed spectacular. The inexperience of the hosts, a broken autocue and poor preparation combined to create one of the most shambolic performances ever aired on live British television. The hosts continually fluffed their lines, a pre-recorded message from Michael Jackson was never actually broadcast and several star guests arrived late. A classic moment included the appearance of Boy George of Culture Club and was along the lines of:

Sam Fox: (with a fixed beaming smile) …and the winner is...

Celebrity (Radio 1 DJ Gary Davies} presenting the award: (looking panicked) aren’t you going to read out the nominations first?

Sam Fox: (with a determined look) …here they are … the FOUR TOPS...

Boy George appears from backstage looking self-conscious.

Boy George: (with an apologetic smile) I’m afraid I’m just the one top...

The Sam Fox/Mick Fleetwood show proved to be the single most important event in BPI/Brit Awards history. It was just so disastrous that the British public’s interest was revived and the Brits became associated with risky live TV. The show’s organisers would successfully exploit this association to publicise future shows.

6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

And of course the poor cameraman who constantly had to adjust to the massive height difference between Sam & Mick.

It was absolute chaos, but is still one of the most memorable live events on tv.
  7. Well i managed it coz one of my friend's mum works for some very well known record labels (such as EMI and Virgin Records) and they decided to give me a ticket!!!!!!
    Sorry to let you down, but Russel Brand is hosting it!! :clap: he's amazing!!