Bright ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brass journo, Oct 10, 2004.

1. brass journo

brass journo Member

With our band's forthcoming trip to Singapore and New Zealand in March and a huge price tag on the trip due to be paid in January, my resource of fundraising ideas is gradually running low so I was wondering if anyone on TMP had any good fundraising ideas?

thanks in advance!!

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

3. groovy

groovy Active Member

Can shaking when your doing a job - leading up to a tour a portion of our can money goes to the tour fund.
    Maybe a Scottish thing, but ceilidhs always go down well - and if you can make up a scratch band from your multi-talented band members, it makes costs even lower.
    A car wash - good fun
    Bag-packing
    Sponsored cycles, walks, runs, silences etc
    Coffee morning
    Bring and buy sale

Just a few ideas.

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

1. Get everyone in the band to donate unwanted stuff and sell it at a carboot or on ebay.

2. Look for sponsorship of small areas of the trip by local businesses. eg cover the costs of a set of tour t-shirts.

3. Run a bonus ball competition within the band. A pound a week and if you number comes out as the bonus ball you get half (or say half up to a tenner) back...the rest is profit for the band. Only small money but could make 15-30 pounds a week of you keep people interested.

4. Ask individuals of the band to get their friends/family work collegues to sponsor them (personally) to do the trip.

5. Do a sponsored 'slave' day. Basically people offer their services for a day and it is auctioned off to collect funds for the band. It can be good if you have people in your band with hidden skills. e.g painting and decorating, computer skills, cooking, plumber, gardening, cleaning...anything. It does mean bandmembers (or any other volunteers) need to do a day of work/service with no pay but you can earn some good amounts doing this for the band. If you advertise this (or even do this at a suitable gig if you have the permission) you could get a good turnout. Money aways gets bidded up high in an auction situation and it is good fun too.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As there's quite a lot of people involved, how about a sponsored slim, with sponsorship calculated on the total weight loss for the whole group? Doing it that way means that those who only want to lose a couple of pounds will still bring in the same amount as those who need to lose a stone or so.

6. brass journo

brass journo Member

You've obviously seen the picture on our website!!!

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Don't wish to be a killjoy but if I remember rightly (believe it or not!) shaking a tin is not allowed these days. Tin holders must collect the dosh without shaking the receptacle. I may have got this a**e about face so apologies if so.

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

No, Dave, you are right - it is against the law to rattle a tin: I think it's probably tied in with legislation regarding begging, in that you're not supposed to approach people, they should come to you if they wish to contribute.

9. groovy

groovy Active Member

Fair enough, I didn't know that! I don't believe our can shakers actually shake - but it's what we call them anyway.