brighouse Xmas record....only listen if your sitting down.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adamskied, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

2. T Winch

T Winch Member

I saw this when it was posted on Facebook a few weeks back. I can't even bring myself to follow the link to sit through it again. I can't believe they've released it!
  3. Bizarre!!
    What were they thinking of?
  4. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Words fail me - poor recording of an awful song.
  5. DRW

DRW New Member

Before too many unkind comments are written, are we certain that this hasn't been released as a charity effort by well-meaning people?
  6. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Think the only charity that would like would be
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I prefer to think of the comments as honest rather than deliberately unkind.....

There is absolutely nothing on the band's website or their press release to suggest the money is going to charity.... and tbh even if it was, I still wouldn't think that it excused what imho is an appalling song doing poor PR for brass banding
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Good intentions should never justify poor quality. But at the end of the day it's irrelevant what is said on here in condemnation; the GBP will still lap it up ...
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

You're right, they'll lap it up.
    Let's face it, it ain't for us diehard brass band purists, but it'll sell.
    There are more people out there that like it than the brass banding minority who will cringe ~ Reindeer poo (as the song says) or the song for you. You takes your pick.
    Personally I don't like it at all, and, I didn't like the Yorkshire Tea Band advert either, but then again, I'm a fully qualified Brass Band Dinosaur !

~ Mr Wilx
  10. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I am all for brass bands tackling anything different, even bubble gum pop if it brings in people to listen, but the style of that is pure nostalgia for the poor rubbish music pre war. Not all pre war, I mean the trashy stuff of the era.
    Now for the lyrics, for the most part sugar and syrup, except that it just may encourage children to go out in the woods and consume reindeer droppings.
  11. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

where can I buy a copy ?
  12. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Could use it for a ritual sacrifice at the band xmas party...hhhhmmm
  13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

The line about getting pulled off by Rudolf is my favourite...
  14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There are a couple more ambiguous references as well.
    I wonder if the composers/lyricists wrote it tongue in cheek (So to speak) and are actually taking the reindeer urine out of brass bands, or perhaps I am crediting them with a subtle deceit that is actually beyond them !

~ Mr Wilx
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

PS: It almost elevates Floral Dance into the symphonic bracket !

~ Mr Wilx
  16. simonium

simonium Member

I can't think this is any worse than those dire performance pieces including "celebrity" poets that attempt a gritty northern realism. Except non-banders may like this. It's not to my liking, but then neither are baritone horns, vegetarian food or sport.
  17. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Quite a toe-tapper! ;) Pity 'bout the lyrics which do appear to be rather risque to say the least. Oh dear...
  18. DRW

DRW New Member

If the song was written collectively by underprivileged people / children as a project for encouragement I would strongly disagree.

I did a quick search before adding my opinions and found something that suggests this may actually be the case. I could be wrong, but I'd rather not take the chance.
  19. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

Care to share your research as Google can't seem to find it?
  20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

that's a huge great IF DRW..... where did you get that from? Like Pauli, I couldn't find anything of the sort, so perhaps you could share the information?

I'm starting to think this whole thing is a mis-timed April Fool!