Brighouse - winning performance - Pagannini

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Maestro, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Have to say, having just heard Brighouse's winning performance, and I don't mean any disrespect here, it was a performance that left me a tad cold.

Technically, yes, to me it sounded fine, apart from a couple of minor blips and suspect tuning(?) but emotionally, I found that it didn't move me at all, which is a unusual for a Brighouse performance.

Maybe I was expecting too much?

I would be very interested to hear other people's views on their performance.

Maybe this needs another thread of it's own, if so, then please feel free to move it mods.

Here is the link for their winning performance.

http://soundcloud.com/brighouseandrastrick/brighouse-and-rastrick

Again, no disrespect is intended in anyway to Brighouse.

Regards

Kev

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pagannini
    Brighouse
    B&R
    Dyke
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Maestro, I know where your coming from. Perhaps its the lack of soul from the band is what yoiur meaning? They have everything else but the lack of soul in thier performance is perhaps wanting. I found that when Prof King was MD of YBS.

4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Whilst I respect your opinion it is so far removed from mine with respect to brighouse and Dave king in general. For me it was soul that won it on Sunday!

5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Would be boring if eveybody agreed all of the time.
    Did you not find the sound a tad thin, or any inbalance or tuning issues?

Not being argumentitive, just curious.

Regards

Kev

6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Listening back to the recording I hear a little flatness in the sop at times, not so sure about balance though - seemed ok to me. The music Kingy brought out though was great. It may have been about treatrics on the night but hearing it live made much more sense. I listened to a rehearsal the week before and Kingy was talking about the confidence and pompousness of the music to reflect him as a virtuostic violinist and I felt that came across very well in the style. I thought they had the best back row of the day too led ably by Laura Hirst with such clean and powerful playing at times which does come across on the recording. Parts of the slow movement was eeringly quiet but always under control. Solo parts were stretched to a point where it became risky - but being close to the edge creates excitment for me. I found the ending perfecly controlled and the last note lifted the roof off.

7. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

The recordings from St George's Hall always sound very out of balance. They've never been particulalry flattering regarding the sound of any band. Very different from what the audience or adjudicator hears on the day.

8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Agreed - the recordings are cornet heavy and bass light....not a good representation. I was in the hall, just sat in front of the judges, and have heard another recording made from a portable device (iPHone or minidisc) and is much more accurate.

9. RyanBrd

RyanBrd New Member

I totally understand as i was there and heard the performance and it may have the best on the day but you can't compare there noise to say Dyke's.

10. Bass Trom1

Bass Trom1 New Member

I listened to 9 bands in the top section, and I think Brighouse played well however I think if they played that particular performance 1st and Dyke played 11 - then the result would have been different. Thought Hepworth played a safe show and well done to Carlton Main!

11. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Yep have to agree with all you say,although live will have been different,
    i was not at the contest and after hearing all the comments i was also left a tad dissapointed,it was brilliant music but something was missing,
    what do people think dyke would have been like if David King had took them ?
    would that have been the right combo ?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pagannini
    Brighouse
    B&R
    Dyke
  13. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

I have to edit my own post lol ,just hooked pc upto music system, very very good, imagine it live "Briggus" sound,

14. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Thanks from me to, Maestro, for that clip. Perhaps its the accoustics of St Georges Hall which dont allow the clarity of the playing to come through, but based on this recording of their performance, I am left uneasy, in a way, of Prof DKs interpretation. There were a few bl;ps too, eg from the horn and euph as well. Not for me this performance I'm afraid, interpretation and the style.

15. GM3

GM3 New Member

This is the best reading of Pags I have heard. There is so much detail and a faith to the score.You just don't hear that level of artistic risk taken in most performances. So much detail, harmonic tensions that you never hear other conductors stress. There are blips and blobs yes, but if that's how you judge music performed to this standard then you are a sports fan, not a music fan. David King is clearly the supreme Brass Band conductor in the world a the moment.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The recording does it's job in giving a representation of how they played but there are various blips recording-wise throughout. It would be good to hear a few more bands to compare. johnflugel is spot on with the balance being very top heavy. Doesn't flatter the cornet section when they let fly. That's probably not how they sounded in St Georges Hall.

17. simonium

simonium Member

I enjoyed this performance greatly and because I couldn't make the actual contest is great to hear. I thought the interpretation was quite subtle and resisted the temptation to "over-Renton" the piece. Paganini Variations for me suffers because of an iconic winning performance committed to disc so its nice to hear a version which doesn't ape this. Of the three newest versions I've heard, with Fodens' recording on Rococo Variations and Dyke's on A Breathless Allelulia this is my 2nd choice after Tovey's spacious account. Bearing in my this is a contest performance I think this is tremendous. The only downside is the balance of the recording which gives the soprano undue prominence but great, great playing. If it's of interest, the live version by Sun Life on the Legacy triple CD set is just as good, possibly better.

18. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I've listened to this a few times now, trying to find something that I missed the first time, and I find it extremely difficult to see this particular recording as a top performance for me. It's good, yes, but not, in my opinion, a top performance.
    As has already been mentioned, the balance of the recording does the cornet section no favours.

Any other bands that could possibly put up their performance for comparison?

19. _si

_si Member

I heard this the other day (maybe its a different recording of the same performance) and i thought it was ****** brilliant! well done Brig!

20. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I have to say in fairness that the recording does not do justice to the live performance, but at least a few people are now starting to see through all the B&R hype and realise that if Dyke had a later draw they would have won - perhaps by a margin.

21. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

is Dykes performance recorded anywhere to listen to

22. Tom Kuiling

Tom Kuiling Member

I have heard a recording of Dykes performance and it has to be said that it certainly sounded better than fifth.

However , hearing it live it seemed allied with their number one draw that they had left the door open. I had them fourth for the record.

As for Brighouse, it seems one or two people on this thread are finding hard coming to terms accepting their victory. I can honestly say that it was a sheer privelege to be there. Watching a conductor draw every ounce of music from his players and having such command over them was unreal and the players response was equally admirable. The audience reaction at the end said it all - a thoroughly deserved victory.

A massive congratulations to Hepworth as well who had to follow this performance and they certainly merited their second place