Brighouse windup?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mxb59307, Dec 11, 2014.

1. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brighouse
    release genuine
    tongue
    cheek
    Brighouse windup
  3. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I like it, a real toe tapper. Well done B&R

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Urgghh: definitely not for me. Talk about corny. Sounds like it's from the 1920s. The Floral Dance sounds more contemporary

5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Nice to see a top band doing something progressive, best thing i have heard in a long while

6. Blades4Ever

Blades4Ever Member

Enter it for the Eurovision Song Contest!

7. BandFanatic

BandFanatic Member

I don't think this will be making its way onto my Ipod. According to their website last years song was successful. Someone somewhere must be buying it I suppose.

8. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

So if, looking admittedly at a rather small sample size, the majority are not fans of this kind of thing, why do we think B&R would make such a record?

Could perhaps someone from the band shed some light on it - do they themselves like it for example, or is there another factor motivating them to create something which doesn't appear to have very much appeal?

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Because the average punter likes tunes!

IMHO this is not aimed at brass band aficionado's but rather people who watch the voice and or x factor and like to listen to the band play the floral dance on a warm Sunday afternoon in a park!....also the right sort of length to get played on a radio station be that national or local.

10. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Not sure X factor viewers and park gig attenders are one and the same. And I can't see it getting much radio airplay be it national, local or indeed hospital!

11. BandFanatic

BandFanatic Member

I some times watch the x factor and regularly go to park concerts!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brighouse
    release genuine
    tongue
    cheek
    Brighouse windup
  13. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

The older I get, the less I understand the world!

14. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just try harder !

~ Mr Wilx

15. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

There are currently several threads running about bands closing/fundraising being prgressive etc maybe those and some of the comments here are related?

Just a few thoughts...my Father a big brass band devottee/player/conductor, has always attended contests etc and several of like minded people recently attended a concert by one of the biggest name band and the comments where that it was a heavy programme with no light relief, just major work after major work, now if people like that are not getting musical satisfaction what hope the non banding public?

So B&R record novelty records that are slightly outside the brass band norm, no different to the more successful dyke in the 70's with Peter Skellern, as for the floral dance recordings I would imagine that all bands would have liked a royalty stream of that longevity!

So some of these things work better than others, at least they are trying different ideas!

16. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I do see the 1920's reference and does have that feel. However if it is what the average Joe wants to listen too and willing to buy, either a CD of it or go watch and listen to a band play it, then why not?
    It is time the whole brass band movement got away from the usual heavy stodge, especially the deliberately written to be difficult contest stodge, most of which is one of the reasons I got out of a big on winning contests band. It might well be a technically brilliant piece of music, but to me and many thousands it is boring to listen too. (And play)
    Boring stodgy music is possibly part of the reason why brass bands aren't as popular as they should be or could be. We should be playing music that people enjoy listening to and not patting ourselves on the back for winning contests. Music was invented to entertain, that is what bands should concentrate on.

17. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Why?
    Its my hobby, primarily for my enjoyment, if anyone else gets anything from it that is a bonus, and hopeful ly they are paying me, or more likely the band, for that.

was it?
    how do you know that?
    who was being entertained, the performer or the listener?

Im no historian but the origins of music may have many reasons, religious? Group membership? Sorry telling?

18. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

Ok Nev lets here your definition of stodgy. Could you also name a piece of music you KNOW has been written with the sole intention of being difficult?

could you please elaborate on when music was invented, by whom and its purpose. I bet it wasn't for entertainment!

19. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Fantastic!! I knew my music history studies would come in useful one day. I've only waited 40 years! For about the first 3000 years, music was almost entirely functional, as far as we know - hunting/military/religious/dance. In the 16th century, the growth of the consort allowed the educated to play for their own amusement but there is not much precedent for an audience sitting down to listen to someone else performing before about 1600, when opera and then concert music developed; quite a recent phenomenon really. That's the point at which composers and performers started to get ideas above their station..............

20. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

What a load of tosh old lad. From what I remember on my visits to your former band, you spent most rehearsals watching the fingers of the guy next to you. No wonder it was stodgy because he couldn't play either. May I suggest you stop taking a pop at you former band just because you couldn't cope. Some banders actually enjoy their hobby and enjoy a bit of serious brass band music. Have you ever listened to the music of Eric Ball, or Edward Gregson ? I think not, I bet you're an X FACTOR fan!
    Sorry for the tirade (thats not the name of a test piece by the way) but stick to something on which you can offer an average JOE opinion without causing offence.

Mr Fixer.

21. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Oh dear, sorry I spoke. Perhaps my taste in music isn't yours, however I think my tastes are more widely shared by the whole population of at least the UK. I did call it stodgy, but it is just my opinion Matt and obviously not yours.

Ok I was also generalising. I suppose we can say the first generation of sounds whatever the means, beating on logs, blowing an animal horn etc, were more for warning, or perhaps some sort of incantation to whatever god was believed in back then. Shall we just say that as you dated it Philip as around 1600, perhaps your right and maybe earlier folk music may not count I don't know! So we can possibly agree that music became entertainment at some much later date than the stone age.
    Incidentally, although I did actually like playing at least one of your contest pieces Philip, I ask was it, or others, written for that purpose to be a test piece, and therefore did include parts designed to test the bands abilities?

No doubt I know you also Mr fixit, though of the many visiting players who came and went, I can't put a name or face to you. However you seem to think poking fun at my own abilities is fair game eh? All I can say is I did the best I could, and maybe should never have bothered trying to take up playing at the age of around fifty something eh? Too old and fixed in my views or something?
    I actually don't care what you think, however I am not in any way taking a pop at the band I left, I left them for my own personal reasons and I do wish the rest of the band and MD all the very best for their future. However the band decided that they were going to be a contesting band and I did for some time go along with that, and at the time was pleased to have been a part of a band winning contests. Though I dislike the principal of contesting, to me it turns music into a sport, though once again just my opinion.
    However for the people I left behind who unlike me enjoy contesting, I do wish you all the success, and congratulations for the advances made.

So, back to the beginning, why is it that brass bands are nothing like as popular with the general public as say for instance the Beatles once were, or the present day popular stuff?
    As an old stick in the mud even I am not too keen about some of the present day popular music. (Rap for example is just a noise to me now)
    However, I am afraid to say that as mentioned by others in a thread about so called "Progressive bands", brass bands are perhaps living a lot too much in the music or style of music of the past as one thing, and also music that is a lot too high brow if you like for the ordinary people of today.

Good old Joe public, the guy who is paying the money by the way, wants to be entertained, if he finds what he hears either above his head, or his taste, he won't come again and certainly won't pay again.
    However, brass bands don't seem to be getting that message, which makes me sad that something I enjoyed doing is dying, slowly, but it is.

I do know that if I do ever decide to take up playing again, it won't be in a brass band, maybe a lack of talent here as well may keep me out of a brass band too though, so I shall possibly go back to an ordinary run of the mill mixed instruments entertainment band.

22. BandFanatic

BandFanatic Member

I tend to agree with your sentiments, however being as I am "Good old Joe public" I can't help but feel as though I am sometimes being a little bit patronised.