Brighouse to recruit women

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by towse1972, Dec 7, 2010.

1. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Brighouse are taking women. Its been rumoured for a while but apparently David King has had his way.
    I get the imprresion that some members of the band don't feel comfortable with the idea.

What do you think?
  2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I think that not recruiting women is plain stupid, rather than just discriminatory. I mean, Brighouse haven't hardly been through a bad patch recently and I'm not saying they have, but if there was a top woman player available and they had a seat available, it is just stupid to disregard them on the grounds of their sex. Just my opinion, I simply believe it is an archaic way to look at the banding world.
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

RecruitED? They have one already don't they? According to last week's rumours!
  4. at last. and those that don't like it - where can they go. oops no top bands left with no women. guess they'll have to lump it.

only took several decades but the debate has now finished.

at flippin last.
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

don't see many women at grimey on a regular basis though :)

edit: beurgh
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Normally I would be 'yeah, let the women in, great idea'. But in this case I find myself having an abnormal stance on the subject.

It is the last band to let women in. If it was the ONLY top section band in the country and no women were allowed, I would think it unfair. But it's not like there aren't a fair few other top bands. So if they wish to remain all male, it's not such a bad thing.

And tis a brave woman who ventures into the all-male banding territory!
  7. Addarb

Addarb New Member

I think the subject of women in brass bands would make an excellent article for 4barsrest, if they can manage to take it seriously.

My first Championship Contest, as a spectator was in the mid 1970s and I don't think there were more than half a dozen girls in the whole contest. Our village band took their first girl on board in the early 1970s (and she went on to marry within the band and their children and I think grandchildren are now involved). I realise it is a bit off topic from the top bands taking on women, but it is an indication of the changing times.

When/who was Dykes first female player?
  8. Zappa

Zappa Member

Bands not taking women is just the most ridiculous thing ever!!

I think i'm correct in saying that with Grimey at the Whit Friday marches a number of years ago, if a wife or partner wanted to attend, they had to follow the band coach in their car!!

First and foremost it's playing ability, then 'are you able to give required commitment', then does your personality 'fit' with the band? I.e. You wont rock the boat/egos left at the door etc.

Are you male or female shouldn't come into it!

I could be reaching too far here, but are some of our 'top' bands now more or less a business? With equal rights etc shouldn't they be careful with this issue?
  9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

It would be a very brave women to join B+R, if the disgusting alpha male behaviour I witnessed a couple of years ago at Whit Friday is anything to go by. Unless things have greatly changed it would not be a pleasant environment for any woman (or indeed most men) to be in.
  10. Zappa

Zappa Member

Now will you elaborate on this???? :eek:
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Nothing brave about it at all. Dont be such a girl!
  12. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I repeat...Not brave. They are just people the same as everyone else.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and here's me thinking that Dave King has got in touch with you! :rolleyes:
  14. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Have sent you a pm.

What? The women are people like everyone else or B+R are people like everyone else? And we all know there are varying types of "people"......
  15. as far as i'm concerned saying it's okay to have all male bands simply because they're are other bands who let in women makes about as much sense as if dyke had a 'whites only' policy which they justified by saying that grimethorpe were prepared to let in a few black people.

utterly daft argument.

in the next few years this debate will finally die. our future is in more women. it'll improve banding for all.
  16. euphoria

euphoria Member

I think we should leave it up to the individual bands to decide their policies. Do you also want Boobs and Brass to include male players?

What about male choirs? - are they chauvinistic (sp?)

I don't have to agree with the no-girls policy - I simply accept that it is not my decision to make and that tradition can cary a lot of weight in such matters.

17. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

I can't believe that in 2010 this discussion even has to take place. It's like suggesting that you can't be a member of a band because you have brown eyes. They would have to change the name of the band to justify their all-male stance, like a male voice choir, where it does what it says on the tin.
    Tradition is fine, and has it's place, but it doesn't make it right. Bullfighting's traditional....
  18. euphoria

euphoria Member

This discussion will go on for as long as we keep telling other people how we want them to organize themselves in their own spare time. As someone mentioned earlier, banding is not a business so I don't think that affirmative action comes into play here.
    No ones livelyhood is under threat by B&R having an all male policy (or Boobs and Brass having an al female policy).

Why should B&R change their name to reflect this policy???

If the name Boobs and Brass reflects their entire recruitment policy I know a lot of guys that are eligible ;)

19. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Can somebody explain to me why Women are pre-occupied with gaining entry to Male Clubs etc, when Men dont feel the same way about Womens clubs?

Its like they cant stand the thought of men getting together and enjoying themselves without some woman putting the moccas on it?

I mean which young man in his right mind wanted to be in the Guides, yet Girls couldnt wait to Squeeze into the Scouts. Same with many other male clubs.

Which man in his right mind would want to Join the WI?

Cmon Ladies Give men somewhere (other than the Gents) where they can go without being nagged at for 24 x 7.
  20. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

.....then i looked in the mirror :eek::eek::eek: