Brighouse strengthen up top and at the back

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Jun 8, 2008.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

Brighouse and Rastrick Band are pleased to announce the signings of Bryan Tait (Assistant Principal Cornet), Andrew Wallis (Solo Cornet), Dean Redfern (Third Cornet) and Nathan Mills on Percussion.

Bryan Tait brings a wealth of experience having been a member of the Reg Vardy Band for 31 years in total, the last 29 as principal cornet. He has played at all the major championships in that time and has worked with most of the countries top conductors. He has pedigree as a soloist having been awarded the ‘Best Soloist’ title at the 1982 Brass in Concert Championships by the late Harry Mortimer. Speaking of his appointment, Bryan said ‘I was delighted when Alan invited me to join the band and look forward to the challenges ahead with such a prestigious outfit.’

Andrew Wallis joins on solo cornet from Yorkshire Imps. He lives and works in Sheffield as a solicitor dealing with Real Estate developments. He is a keen follower of Sheffield Wednesday and generally a big sports fan. Previously he has played with Stocksbridge and Rothwell Temperance.

Dean Redfern from Rochdale joins on third cornet. He has worked for Manchester based brewer J.W. Lees for the past 23 years and is currently Director of Sales with responsibility for sales of beer throughout Europe and has been teasing the band with the prospect of free samples and brewery tours! He says: ‘Joining the band is fantastic. They’re a great bunch of lads, very talented and dedicated and I know already that I’m going to enjoy every minute of my time here.’

17 year old Nathan Mills joins from Pennine Brass where he was principal percussionist. He has been a member of Rochdale Borough Youth Band since 2002, and this year won the ‘Outstanding Soloist’ award at the Action Research Youth entertainment championship. He is currently studying music at Hopwood Hall College in Rochdale.

All the new signings are in place ahead of the band’s appearance at the English National Brass Band Championships on June 28th in Preston. You can catch a preview of the band as they prepare Robert Redhead’s piece, ‘Infinity’ on Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th June from 7:45 pm in the Central Methodist Church, Brighouse.

John Ingman
    Publicity Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band