Brighouse March Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tpcornet12, Jun 22, 2007.

1. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Hello All

I have been asked to help VBS Poynton at Brighouse March Contest. Naturally I said yes as it sounds like fun! Also I'm in the mood for it following Whit Fri and then Kirby Lonsdale last week! However, I don't really know much about it and never been nor played there before.... anyone like to share something about the day???

Cheers :tup

2. really good contest, 1 of my favourites

you march down 1 of the main streets in the centre of Brighouse, round the roundabout and finish in the playing area in front of the Black Bull pub, playing a hymn tune and a test march.

usually get between 20 and 30 bands turn up, all varying from junior/youth level up to championship.

Don't often get any of the "big bands" turning up but the level is always very solid and competitive. There are main prizes, band section prizes, individual piece prizes, soloist/best instrument prizes and a deportment prize

the main street is usually packed full of people, if the weather is good the turn out usually is aswell, aswell as the black bull there are another pub or 2 and a couple of fish n chip shops aswell

You should enjoy the day, just hope I can be there too!

(apologies if any of these details are slightly incorrect, but most of it in the main im pretty sure is correct)

3. leisa

leisa Active Member

its a brill day in big town centre, big crowds eeeeeer a pub at each end what more do you need to knw? :-D

4. barrytone

barrytone Member

Lovely little march contest and oh so popular. Loads of bands go from every section, including youth. The band forms up, ala Whit Friday, march down Brighouse main street, round the edge of the roundabout, halt and fall out and all the audience clap.

Then the band reforms in band formation and plays three verses of a hymn tune followed by their chosen contest march. Then the band falls out and the next band starts marching.

Excellent day out, Brighouse is easily accessed from the M62. Parking is fairly easy, nice big free car park at Salvation Army then there's Sainsbury's, where we've parked in the past. Plenty of pubs but bands normally stick to the ones on the main street. There's a Wetherspoons on the main street, just about where the bands form up. There's a couple of excellent fish and chip shops and of course the Wetherspoons does food.

Pray for good weather as there's no cover for either bands or spectators though the adjudicator is in a caravan.

No ones asked me to help out this year and my band aren't going as we're doing Easingwold March Contest the night before but will probably go along for a listen.

Enjoy yourself, sure you'll have a wonderful time.

5. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Sounds good to me! How many bands go and and is it open or are there sections?

6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Oops, cheers - must have posted simultaneously!!

Definately looking forward to it now! :D

7. leisa

leisa Active Member

Erm and Naps (Napolena) of course oppsite wetherspoons, lovely pizzas!!!!!

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Did that a few years ago when I was living in Yorkshire - absolutely melting hot day.

however, we nearly got disqualified cos we didn't march far enough! Whoops....

Great day though :)

9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

There are seperate section prizes, there's going on towards 30 bands entered this year. Including some very decent local higher section bands - and we all know the Yorkshire ones are the best!!

With a bit of luck with the weather you'll have a grand day out - We played in the teeming rain (1st band on,2004?) and there was still 100+ sat in the crowd cheering!

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Our local contest! Five minutes walk from the bandroom to the start of the march.

I've done it twice now, and had a brilliant day both times.

Even if you're not playing it's well worth a visit as the standard is high, the beer is cheap and the weather is (Ususally) good - although the sky did turn black in a big way right at the end last year and poor old Lindley got soaked trying to give a closing concert!!!

One of my favourite contest dates.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brighouse March Contest
    Pennine
    Marsden
    critic
  12. We (Silk Brass) are going again this year (our 2nd year). Last year's contest was great; glorius sunshine, then a HUGE thunderstorm accompanying the short concert that one band were performing whilst waiting for the results. Great atmosphere, especially in 'Spoons' and the chippys are good too.

We already know which number we have drawn, but i will not disclose that information!!!!

Does anyone know a full list of bands that are to be attending and the sections they are in?

If i remember rightly, there was a couple of foreign bands there too last year!

13. Sopfonix

Sopfonix Member

Our band is doing this contest for the first time and our Solo Trombone player and Chief Organisor would like to know if the march down is like Whit Friday, so we need to know, do we need a drummer for our march down?

Thanks

14. To Sopfonix

The march down is a la Whit Friday, so i would recommend a drummer! Length of march, i would suggest is a bit longer than Broadoak but shorter than Greenfield.

15. Sopfonix

Sopfonix Member

Thanks for that info.

16. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

I was asked to help Vernon out for this as well ... would have loved to do it as I've not done it before, but I'm still in brum unfortunately :( hope you have a good day and do well

17. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Cheers Lizzie I'll try me best!!

PS
    Your sister was at rehearsal tonight - made her play rep! Nice to see her back.

18. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

for parking -

ignore most signs for parking in the town centre, and park on tescos/sainburys

19. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

yeah, i think she's been asked to join on rep for as long as she's still in macc ... I'm the only haigh daughter not there now!

20. leisa

leisa Active Member

yeah sainsburys is prob best cos its closest, but there is not much parking in the centre of brighouse!! I'll b walking to it this year :-D looking forward to it now!

21. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm hoping I don't need to drive - it sounds to good to stay sober!;) But we'll see!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brighouse March Contest
    Pennine
    Marsden
    critic