Brighouse cornet player to present Vienna lecture

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Jul 3, 2007.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

Brighouse and Rastrick cornet player Richard Jones heads off to Vienna this week for the International Council for Traditional Music (ITCM) conference, being held between the 4th and 11th of July at the University for Music and Performing Arts in Vienna.

He will present a paper is entitled ''It's a Man's, Man's. Man's World': Cosmologies of Context Specific Performance within the Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band' having been chosen from hundreds of prospective speakers. Richard previously presented a paper at the Sheffield ICTM conference in 2005, entitled 'The Brighouse and Rastrick Brass Band and their adopted Yorkshireman! A Participant Observer's Perception of Power, Status and Interaction'.

Other topics up for discussion at the conference involve Northern Irish Marching bands, Village bands from Portugal and the significance of brass bands in everyday life in Brazil.

The ICTM was founded in, 1947 to further the study, practice, documentation, preservation and dissemination of traditional music, including folk, popular, classical and urban music, and dance, of all countries. You can read more about the LCTM at their homepage: www.ictmusic.org/ICTM/.

Richard has been a member of the band since 1997 and studied music at the University of Huddersfield gaining bachelors and masters qualifications. He has a particular interest in ethnomusicology and is awaiting the award of a Phd from Sheffield University.

John Ingman
    Publicity Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band
    3/7/2007

2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Will Richard's paper be published? I would be interested to read more.

3. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

At the present time it's only in the form of a paper and not a full blown article. In otherwords, the paper is not that long and only deals with some of the issues on the surface, especially in relation to gender in the band's support and performance organization. However if you could email me at my hotmail address I will send you a copy of the paper and the handouts, bibliography and suggested further reading lists.

ah..back to the sunny Vienna weather.

On a separate note, many thanks to all those who have sent congratulations messages for the conference, especially you wezrobbed!

4. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member