Brighouse and Rastrick Crowned as Yorkshire Champions

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Mar 5, 2007.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

Brighouse and Rastrick Band were crowned as Yorkshire Champions on Sunday 4th March under the baton of Musical Director Alan Morrison. It was Alan’s first contest as conductor of the band and it saw them finish top ahead of an extremely strong field. The result means that the band qualify once again for the National Championships at the Royal Albert Hall, London in October after a rare absence in 2006.

Speaking after the result Alan said ‘I’m delighted that success has come so quickly and I hope it is just the start of another great era for the band. The lads deserve it so much and I am delighted for everyone associated with our great organisation.’

It was also a contest debut for Principal Cornet Stephen Wilkinson who shone alongside the bands’ other soloists. Commenting on the victory Stephen said ‘Alan prepared the band in such a thorough and detailed way that we all felt so confident when we sat on stage that we would deliver a winning performance that will be the first of many more to come this year’.

Also featuring heavily in the performance was Solo Euphonium Michael Howley who went on to add ‘I’m so delighted with the result and the performance; it makes up for the disappointment of not featuring in last years finals. We have such a strong band now and can continue to work together under Alan to challenge for the Nationals title in October.’

The band now look forward to their Massed bands concert with the Cory Band from South Wales on March 24th in Huddersfield Town Hall and several new CD projects.

John Ingman
    Publicity Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band
  2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Can I just say a big Congratulations to Alan and the band. It's great to see the purple and gold of Brighouse back at the top where they belong

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

From all of us at West Mercia Police Band
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Indeed. Bit of a baptism of fire for Mr Morrison to win the toughest area contest in the country at his first crack! Just goes to show his musicianship goes a lot further than playing alone.

As perennially the "other" band in Brighouse, we at co-op bump into a few of B&R from time to time, so we're all very pleased for them. Keep up the good work!
  4. welldone Steve thought you were superb mate,
  5. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

Just want to say well-done to everyone at Brighouse for the well-deserved win on Sunday...

Well-done especially to Alan Morrison, first regional contest with the band - lets hope this is the start of things to come!

Special congratulations have to go to Steve Peacock and Colin Brook, from the back row; recent signings from Grimethorpe who have completed a fantastic hat-trick of Yorkshire Regional wins -- fantastic!!

Well - done guys and best of luck in London - i'll be there to give you a shout !
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

You mean they help us prop the bar up in spoons occassionally!!! :guiness
  7. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Yeah, it's our post-practice local, two minutes from the bandroom at most, but John and Mike usually manage to beat us there!!!
  8. bigben

bigben New Member

Hearty congrats to Brighouse for their area win last Sunday.
    It was a fine and very musical performance - Bravo.
    Special mention for the bone section and the solo euph, who were fabulous.

9. leisa

leisa Active Member

yeh strange that!! alchys!!! :biggrin: