Brighouse and Rastrick Band announce new Principal Cornet

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Dec 17, 2006.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

The Brighouse and Rastrick Band are delighted to announce the appointment of Stephen Wilkinson as Principal Cornet following Alan Morrison’s recent appointment as Musical Director.

Stephen lives in Stockport but is originally from South Shields and until recently held the same position with the Fairey Band. He is a graduate of the Royal Northern College of Music and is currently carrying out a PGCE (teacher training) qualification at Manchester Metropolitan University.

Speaking of his appointment Stephen said ‘I am delighted to be joining this world famous band and I am relishing the opportunity to work with Alan and Dick. It is an honour to follow in the footsteps of the many great players who have sat in the top man seat at Brighouse and this will let me continue to develop and progress as a player. It is a privilege to be working within such a great organisation, I respect everything that the band stands for and I am looking forward to success in 2007 and beyond.’

Paul Beaumont, President of B&R commented, ‘With Alan Morrison vacating the principal cornet seat in order to take up the baton we knew that we had created a problem; Alan is a very hard act to follow. We auditioned a number of principal cornet players but knew that we had had found our man as soon as Stephen started playing; he has a superb tone and an enviable technique. I was very proud to be able to announce his appointment at our Christmas concert in Brighouse last night [Saturday 16th December] and I am sure that we will hear great things from Stephen and B&R in the future as this talented young man follows in the footsteps of some of the world’s most famous cornet players. Stephen’s appointment is a key part in our overall strategy.’

Musical Director Alan Morrison added, ‘Stephen has impressed us all with his beautiful sound and secure technique over the past few weeks. Couple this with his youthful enthusiasm and huge potential, we have the ideal person to fill the seat. My best wishes go to Stephen for a long, happy and successful tenure as leader of B&R.’

Stephen wowed the sell out audience in the Central Methodist Church, Brighouse last night with John Iveson’s Charivari. B+R had their 16 trophies from 2006 on display, 9 from the Whit Marches, 6 from Brass in Concert and 1 from the English Nationals to mark the end of a successful period in the band’s history. The band go into 2007 with as strong a line up of players and conductors as ever and look forward to the success the new year will bring.

John Ingman
    Publicity Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band