Brighouse and Rastrick Band announce new conducting team

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Dec 5, 2006.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

The Brighouse and Rastrick Band are delighted to announce the appointment of Alan Morrison as Musical Director and Richard Evans as Associate Conductor. These new roles will see Alan work with the band on a day to day basis, undertaking the majority of concert and contest work. Richard will work with the band on a number of engagements and will offer his expertise in preparation for contests.

Alan has been Principal Cornet with the band since January 2003 and is already an experienced conductor.

Said Alan speaking of his appointment:

‘I am absolutely delighted to accept the position of Musical Director with the Brighouse & Rastrick Band.

Although I am sad at relinquishing my position as Principal Cornet, I also feel that the opportunity to conduct such a wonderful band is too good to turn down. My thanks go to the band though for their unstinting support over the last few years of my tenure as Principal Cornet and I look forward to the challenge of the top job within the band. I feel privileged to be part of such a wonderful organisation.

In accepting this high profile role, I am conscious of the famous names that have gone before me at B&R through the long 125 year history of the band. I hope to emulate them all and put Brighouse back at the top of the pile where they truly belong.’ Alan Morrison

Chairman Mike Norton said ‘This a forward looking move for the band which breaks away from our tradition of having resident and professional conductors in favour of one person doing the majority of the work. The decision to take on Alan as M.D was taken unanimously and the band loved working with Dick during the preparations for Brass In Concert, the results of the partnership were there for everyone to see and hear at Gateshead! I know Alan has a lot of plans for the future direction of the band so it is an exciting time.’

Paul Beaumont, President of B&R commented:

“Alan’s wide experience as a conductor, adjudicator and as one of the top players in the world, combined with Dick’s fantastic experience and unique style will ensure that B&R continues to be the first choice for entertainment and a strong contender in the competition field. I am looking forward to great things from B&R in the future and to build on our reputation as the world’s most successful and consistent public subscription band.” Paul Beaumont

It is already decided that Richard Evans will conduct the band as they defend their title at ‘Brass In Concert’ next year. Richard was thrilled with last month’s victory and will be already planning how he is going to win his next title.

An announcement regarding Alan’s replacement as Principal Cornet will be made very shortly.

John Ingman
    Press Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band
  2. eanto

eanto Member

Congratulations to Alan on your appointment, I hope your seat is suitably covered! All the best to Briggus.:clap:
  3. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

great stuff will be interesting to see who fills the seat now alan is md and with ruchard evans as associate it looks like a great line up
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Congrats to Alan on his appointment as MD :clap: ...but who the heck do you replace him on the Principal Cornet chair with?!?!? :-?
  5. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Quite a bolt out of the blue that one!

Also intrigued as to who will be filling his chair... you had a phonecall Crawf? ;)
  6. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Congratulations to Alan on the Appointment as MD.

It will take one heck of a player to replace him....Anyone got any thoughts who it might be
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

That's not even funny man! :rolleyes:

Unless you mean they call me to ask if I know anyone!
  8. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

The only thing we know, in Septic Peg style, is the fact that:

"I predict the new principal cornet at Brighouse and Rastrick will be a man, between the age of 5 and 125."
  9. trumpetmaest

trumpetmaest Member

Or maybe an ex principal of Fairey's who has been playing on their front row?? mmm
  10. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Good for Alan he is a Brill MD he has taken our band quite a few times because he is our musical adviser and he is really good! WELL DONE
  11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I think you could be right;)
  12. This could be the thing that gets brighouse back up in challenge with the likes of grimey and dyke, I think its an excellent duo and I wish them both the best in the challenges ahead!
  13. oddbod

oddbod Member

Congratulations to a top musician and a really good bloke - and I know I can sign that as "From all at Kippax"
  14. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

A winning combination if you ask me
  15. crafty cornet

crafty cornet New Member

Played for Alan twice,at Allerton Bywater and Aceprint bands.
    He's a top MD and a top man to boot!!
    Good luck to whoever can fill his playing shoes!!!!
  16. cbridge

cbridge Member

You can hear Alan conduct the band this Saturday (16th December) at 3:00 pm in the Central Methodist Church, Brighouse. The band have the talented young musicians of the Swing and Wind Bands from Brighouse High School as their guests. Tickets are priced £7 and £3 for concessions and are available from Fawcett’s Stationers, Brighouse or by phoning David Howe on 01274 725332.

John Ingman
    Press Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band