Brian Evans

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lassonbass, May 8, 2005.

1. Lassonbass

Lassonbass New Member

The saddest news I've heard in ages is that our great friend Brian Evans, an inspiration to so many, died last night.

This is such a sad time for everyone who knew him. Brian was a true legend of the soprano and an absolute inspiration both in his playing and personality.

As a friend you couldn't wish for better. An unbelievable character who influenced many people in all walks of life.

His friends at the Crown are holding a wake for him right now. We've just got back having seen his life celebrated in true Brian Evans fashion.

All our thoughts are with Pam, his partner of many years, a woman who loved Brian dearly and was loved as strongly in return.

Funeral details will be posted when available.

Here's to you, Brian. A true legend. We will miss you more than you would have ever imagined.

Simon Gresswell and Fiona Timms
  2. Heather

Heather Member

Death of Brian Evans

Just read on 4barsrest that Brian Evans the soprano legend has died.

I did not know Brian, had never met him or ever heard him play 'live' but he has a very special place in my banding life.
    This is all because of a 20p cassette I bought at a jumble sale many, many years ago when I had not been playing baritone very long.
    The cassette (can't remember the name) was of Brian playing solos and I remember being stunned when I heard him play. I played it over and over again, I loved it so much.
    At this time I was having doubts as to whether to give brass playing up but his music on that 20p cassette gave me the inspiration to carry on.
    I am saddened to hear of his death and send my deepest sympathy to his family.
    Tomorrow I shall find that cassette and play it again.
  3. asteria

asteria Member

Just read this sad news on 4barsrest. I didn't know Brian very well but he was a lovely guy and a true gentleman, I'm sure he will be sorely missed.
  4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Simon and I are both shocked and saddened at the news of Brian's death.

Brian gave Simon his first break as an arranger by commissioning a soprano cornet arrangement of 'Nessun Dorma' which was Simon's very first arrangement. Brian spent a lot of time giving advice to Simon whilst they were both at Wingates and it led to numerous solos being performed by Brian. He went on to record them all on Brian's fantastic solo recording.

Simon has always spoke so fondly of Brian and is indebted to him for all the help he gave him. Rest in peace.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
  5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I join in acknowledging Brian's incredible talent. I loved his sound. I heard him play "live" when Fairey's came to Canada with Dyke, Manchester CWS, and Gus. He featured Cavalleria Rusticana and was nothing less than awesome. Fairey's also used a transcription of Morning Mood from Peer Gynt and his playing at the start of that was ethereal and really captured the "mood" (no pun intended) of the music.

Thanks Brian, for many happy memories.

Rest in Peace.
  6. dotman

dotman New Member

Very sad news, I had the pleasure of Brians company when playing with the Navi Band , a lovely bloke and a huge loss, thoughts go to his family. As a former sop player (many years ago) he was a source of inspiration to me and many years later when I finally met Brian I was still a little starstruck, I couldn't believe that I was playing in the same band, boy what a player!.
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Many years ago I started playing a Bb cornet, but after hearing Brian performing at the Granada Band of the Year Contest I quickly changed to Soprano and spent fourteen happy years trying to emulate him. Unfortunately I never did, but he always gave me the inspiration and dedication to stick with it.
    I was very saddened to read the news that Brian had passed away, and my thoughts and prayers go to his family.

The last time I heard Brian play was with the 'Old Brighouse' band at their Floral Dance 25th Anniversary Concert. Still chewing gum, swapping mouthpieces and 'playing' to the audience he was always the showman and even 'stole' the show on that occasion. He will be sadly missed.

Thank you Brian, God Bless

8. Highams

Highams Member

I have his recordings with CWS Manchester and they are awe inspiring!

A true legend.

9. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have many happy memories of meeting Brian at Wingates and his scratch brass, you could not fail to be amused by his wit and humour. The bandworld will seem a lot less colourful without him. He was probably the first to show exactly what the soprano could do in the right hands and not just be the Bb cornets octave key.

God Bless,
    Darrol & Rachael
  10. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

God Bless you my friend

I had the privilege and pleasure to share the top desk in the NYBBGB with Brian, a week of intense concentration made all the more memorable by his wit. A superb instrumentalist and musician; one of life's great characters. He will be sadly missed.
    Our deepest sympathy to Pam and the family.

Rita and David James
  11. brass journo

brass journo Member

Rest in peace Brian. He will be truly missed by all of us that knew him and those that didn't. As well as an awesome player he was such a lovely guy, always ready to pick you up when you were down and fling in the odd cheeky comment to make you smile!

We will miss him so much and all our love goes to Pam and the family and friends.

love and thoughts to you Brian.

love Tabby and everyone at UCYBB
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Many years ago (1980 i think) Brighouse came to Walsall Town Hall.

I went up to Brian Evans and asked if i could have his autograph, he repiled
    "Yes by all means,pass your book here and i will do it" with a friendly smile.
    My best 2 memories of Brian Evans were at the British Open Contest when Brighouse won in 1978 Benvenuto Cellini he was just fantastic, on the soprano part that day and another time was when he played at the Granada Band of The Year "Solitare"
    My mate and i had not got a ticket but wanted to hear Brighouse and particuarly Brian Evans play Solitare,so we sneaked in and herad him. Glad i did because it was well worth it, just a great player who will be missed by us all.
    I have got the CD DEDICATIONS on as i am doing this,as a tribute to him.
    Deepest thoughts go to all his family.
    God Rest Brian Evans
  13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Sad news indeed. When I first started playing sop at the age of 15 he was 'the man' to listen to.

Had the pleasure of hearing him live with Kings Of Brass on the Isle of Man a few years ago where he shared the stand with Peter Roberts!!