Brexit Goodies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by David Evans, Oct 13, 2016.

1. David Evans

David Evans Member

Whilst I truly appreciate the result to leave and I am happy to ignore the pound reaching its lowest ever level and to be now less than a euro in exchange. I can also ignore the increased cost of foreign holidays, the likely introduction of EU visas, the probable end of North East car manufacture, science research, and university collaboration with the end of international students and their monies, the rise of racism and the likely increase of foodstuffs by 20% and electronics by 10% all before Christmas and of course the loss of EU protection against profiteering, tax dodging and other unsavoury practices. This is all obviously a price worth paying but I just wonder when the good times will start?

simonbassbone likes this.
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brexit
    Fixer
    rental property
    people rich
    type of property
  3. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

By the end of March is when the PM says, thats if the losers dont cause further delays by subverting democracy.

2nd tenor and KenIrvin like this.
  4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Subverting democracy? Such as bypassing Parliament?

5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Parliament are not being bypassed. Parliament passed the European Union Referendum Act 2015, which resulted in a vote to leave the EU.
    I suppose if that isn't good enough, we could always have a General Election, decimate the Labour Party, finish off the Libs and have a landslide anti EU Conservative Government to pass the Act through, but it does seem like an awful lot of effort to go to.

Slider1 and Mesmerist like this.
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

They started months ago. Cameron buggered off ! Unilever told Tesco to pi5s off over Marmite ! Helleluja, what a new world we all live in !

7. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

£350 million a week to spend on the NHS. Have you not noticed the new hospitals being built everywhere?

8. Euphonium Lite

Must have missed that one. As for taking back control, its obvious that Teresa May intends to do that. By passing over our countries elected representatives and doing her own thing. In some parts of the world they call that "Dictatorship"

9. ari01

ari01 Active Member

Sorry guys.. the debate was months ago when everybody got a vote and all of the stupid thick mislead racist idiots who have no idea how the world works voted out whilst all of the intelligent, clever, well informed, experts on the economy and exchange rate people voted in....it's done..get over it

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  10. Euphonium Lite

OK lets put it in simple terms so that you can understand it. Some of these words might have more than one syllable so you might need a grown-up to help

Correct. Parliament passed a motion for a referendum to take place. That's all. Not Article 50, not negotiation stance, not trade deals. Just a referendum

It's also worth noting that this point that referenda in this country are non-binding - I appreciate big words are difficult for you, so it means that Parliament - and the Government - do not have to abide by the result. That said, it takes a brave (or stupid) politician to ignore the will of the people in their constituency, unless of course they feel that the public were misled and would have voted another way once the implications of voting Leave were known.

I've told you before the Libs are on the way back. You can choose to ignore it but there is hard evidence. Not in opinion polls - May 2015 showed that these can be wrong however I'm talking actual elections. Real elections for councillors, where you have to put a cross on a ballot paper and put the paper in the box. Not just telling a man on the phone how you think you'll vote.

Since May, of the seats that have changed hands (ie ignoring "Holds") -
    Conservatives Gained 5, Lost 18 (-13)
    Labour Gained 7, Lost 13 (-6)
    Independent Gained 5, Lost 6 (-1)
    UKIP Gained 3, Lost 4 (-1)
    SNP Gained 2, Lost 3 (-1)
    Plaid Cymru Gained 1, Lost 0 (+1)
    Green Party Gained 1, Lost 0 (+1)
    Lib Dem Gained 20, Lost 0 (+20)

Its all there on the Britain Elects twitter feed

Hardly the stuff of "Finishing the Libs", or "Landslide Anti-EU Government" of your rather bizarre and unfounded dreams. The evidence also disproves the comment about Labour, although part of me also thinks there is still time for further implosion or desertion.
    However carry on with your delusions. I'm sure your world is full of rainbows and fluff. Lots of fluff.

11. Euphonium Lite

Not everyone that voted leave was thick or racist, however everyone that is thick or racist will have voted to leave. However as you say, the vote is over, the country made a decision. Its dealing with the implications of that decision that may cause further discussions but I think most want to make the best of a "bad job"

2nd tenor and ari01 like this.
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brexit
    Fixer
    rental property
    people rich
    type of property
  13. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Blah blah blah the Libs are on their way back and all the rest of it. Well maybe big words do confuse me, I don't know. But what I do know is that you aren't convincing me and apparantly not your own constituency either, in your failed attempt to get in to Parliament. So patronise all you like my friend, you have a long long way to go before you make it as a real politician.

14. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

The vote's happened and is history; the adult thing to do now is to get over the result and accept differences of opinion.

The remainers have complained in a way that reminds me of spoilt children that didn't get their way. Worse still the EU seems determined to punish us for wanting to leave, to my mind that's not the type of group that any civilised country would want to associate themselves with. Indeed if the EU's stance had been more reasonable the £ would have been far less effected, so blame the EU for causing us problems rather than people who (at last) had their wish to live in an independant Nation heard.

As for Parliament voting on this issue their views can not be allowed to interfere with the result of the referendum. If Parliament ever refuses to accept the result of a Referendum will it then be long before it refuses to accept the result of a General Election? Debating the issues and what settlement Parliament would like the Goverment to aim to secure is all very good in theory, however such openness places the UK negotiating team in an unhelpful position and undermines their ability to do their job - perhaps that is what some people want so that the referendum result is thwarted.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Slider1 and stevetrom like this.
  15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Actually I'm more concerned that a candidate for the American President job is facing a charge of raping a 13 year old girl this December.

16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Have we left the EU yet?

We won't start saving the money we give away until we do.

Jack E, Slider1 and 2nd tenor like this.
  17. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Oh here we go, I had hoped this was the one and only forum that had escaped from this Anti trump stuff. Yes a lot of what he says is very contentious, yes he is very unorthodox, yes he has a funny hair do, but please remember it is an American election and has bugger all to do with us. (also remember all these allegations are just that, "Allegations"). I'll give it another few posts on this thread before the Farrage conspiracies regarding the Amarican Election start too.

So, in true Trump style ......

You'd be far better off getting your instrument out and having a practice or doing some house work than worrying about Mr Trump love.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jack E and stevetrom like this.
  18. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

It is good to move on from the referendum result, pity more people don't follow your example. What's done is done and now it's a case of letting the Government secure the best deal it can for the U.K. - difficult in that the EU have decided that this will not be an amicable 'divorce'.

I'm amazed that Trump has got so far and can only think that a very large percentage of US citizens are fed up with the political class and want someone different to the extent that what might otherwise be considered major faults are ignored. A friend in the US believes that neither candidate is fit for the job and that it's a case of which is the least bad choice - in their opinion that's Mrs C by a sufficient margin.

Though they are an example of what can happen I wouldn't wish to slag off the Yanks in particular, there are cirtainly not too dissimilar issues nearer home, but when political outcomes are heavily influenced by who has the biggest campaign fund then democracy is in peril if not already lost.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Euphonium Lite likes this.
  19. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Wow, and that was wholly unexpected wasn't it?

Only a moron would've expected anything but this sort of outcome, they were never likely to roll over and allow the UK to leave whilst keeping the bits they wanted without having to make a heck of a number of concessions.

20. Euphonium Lite

Touche!
    To be fair you could stick a carrot up with a blue rosette in this part of the world and it would still get elected. But yes, the only positive from the GE result was keeping my deposit - something a lot of Lib Dems failed to do. But giant Oaks out of little Acorns grow....

21. Euphonium Lite

As one of the posts from Marc (above) what did you expect the EU to do? Most divorces are not particularly nice - expect this one to be no different.

I can see that train of thought, however it doesn't allow for the negotiation of followed by approval of. However from memory one of the biggest complaints about the EU was it was removing Sovereignty of the UK Parliament. Removal of Sovereignty is the same regardless of who does it

You have to remember once Parliament is dissolved there are no MPs. Government ministers remain in post until a new Government is formed, but everyone else becomes a candidate only. So once the new Commons is formed from the elected MPs then obviously if they want to refuse to accept their own election, that could be a dangerous precedent. I think..... :-/

In all seriousness, even though a party may win a majority, until the new Government is formed (by the new Prime Minister accepting the invitation from the Queen to form a new Government) the old one remains in post. This - theoretically - is a dangerous time as the old Government could possibly negate the GE result. However I'm sure there are some sort of Constitutional balances in there - you'd need to ask a constitutional legal expert

22. Euphonium Lite

Absolutely. It worries me that the American system seems to be about the bankroll size. Whatever the faults of the Parliamentary system in this country, anyone can have a chance of election pretty much regardless of their personal financial situation. Yes, there are a lot of MPs on all sides that have a lot of family money behind them, but there are a significant number that have not.
    The US system on the other hand, whilst seemingly paying lipservice to "Any American can become President" seems to only allow those with lots of money - or access to lots of money - to do that.

I worry that either HC or DT will create more issues for the world than they solve, but its out of my control - I don't get a vote - so I guess all we can really do is sit and wait to see what happens. Frightening.

2nd tenor likes this.