Breathing Techniques

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Oct 26, 2007.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Hey

Every since i have gone on to this Imperial Bb bass iv had trouble breathing! It feels like i have 2 take a breath like every 2bars or something! Really annoying me! Has anyone got any breathing techniques to help me with this?!

Thanks Matt

2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

what was you on befor the Imperial BBb

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Recommended reading/listening (download the masterclasses) from the link below from one of the late legendary tuba teachers ...

Arnold Jacobs - Almost Live

4. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

i was on a old imperial 3valve which was smaller! and im soon going onto a brand new sov!

MAtt

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Just wondered what you were moving up from
    I beleive that With time and Practice you will get Longer between Breaths
    I would be working on Scales of Long notes to increase your Lung capacity, Taking Large Breaths and using your Diafram to Controle your Breath, Breathe Deeply not small Breaths and over time and practice things will improve.
    I used to try playing Hymn Tunes with a single Breath, Didn't always suceed But felt good When I did, But you need to be taking realy deep Breaths and using all your lung Capacity not just the top bit

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Get hold of The Breathing Gym by Sam Pilafian - it is available as a book of exercises or a DVD where Sam (and Pat Sheridan - both tuba players of monster ability) demonstrate the exercises with some of their students.
    I use the exercises in my teaching and a number of my students have obtained the DVD for themselves.

7. zak

zak Member

Get a decent teacher to look at you. Cyber advice is all well and fine but 1 to 1 is a completely different thing!!!:clap:

8. Jay

Jay Member

I think time and practice is all it will take!! You can probably find some breathing exercises on google or something too! Jay xx

9. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Agree with time and practice.

Try breathing in over say 8 beats before you come in (if you have time!). Also work on your diaphram with exercises to strengthen it.
    Also take off some of the volume, open the throat more and produce a fuller sound will help the sound and overall sound louder.
    Found these helpful in developing my Bass playing.

Hope this helps

Neil

10. I recommend an UltraBreathe, it increases your lung capacity. I bought one and expected to try it and not notice much different. It's brilliant short term to expand your lungs fully before you start playing (as a warm up almost) but long term it certainly increases your overall capacity! I play the euphonium and through growth spurts especially, had found breath control a bit let down to my playing, but the UltraBreathe has really helped that.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Imperial Bb
    Breathing Techniques HeyEvery
    Matt
    Imperial Bb bass iv
    bars
  12. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

I have a really good way to work on breath capacity and control. It's free and you can do it as part of your everyday life. I think it was told to me by Jim Gourlay about 20 years ago. It assumes that you sepnd some of your time walking from place to place.

As you walk along, breathe in over 6 paces, hold your breath for 6 paces, breath out over 6 paces then start again. After you've been doing this regularly for a week or so, reduce the number of paces you breathe in over, hold for the same time then breathe out over a corresponding increased number of paces (e.g. in for 5, hold for 6, out for 7 then in for 4, hold for 6 and out over 8). When I was really fit and playing well, I could do in over 2, hyold for 6 and out over 10 but I've let things slip.

The secret of making this work for you is to control the breathe really well so it's an even pressure all the time you're breathing out.

I hope this makes sense.

Pete

13. That method seems very sensible. However if there are aids which, yes do cost money, then i think that should be an option too! It does really really help. Personally i'd prefer to spend a few concentrated minutes each day on it and then forget about it til the next day.