Breath of Souls - Paul Lovatt Cooper

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt the Baritone, Sep 4, 2011.

1. I don't know if one has been released, but does anyone have a recording of Breath of Souls by Paul Lovatt Cooper? Having day trip to RAH and wouldn't mind a listen beforehand! Cheers!

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

No recording, as far as I know, but the Study Score is available from PLC Music:
    http://www.plcmusic.com/plchome.php (not listed on the website yet, but was on sale at the Open on Saturday, price £10)

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Why not find your closest competing band and go down and listen for a night beforehand. I know in Yorkshire there would be a warm welcome in most bandrooms to anyone wanting a listen beforehand.

4. Thanks both for the replies! I'll be buying a study score no doubt on the day! :) I would love to go for rehearsal to have a listen, unfortunately (no offense to the qualified bands) this year we've had Flowers and Woodfalls qualify, both of which are a 4 hour car journey away from my home :( Will probably have to leave it and get a surprise on the day ;)

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Then do the job right, Book a B&B in Yorkshire for a few days and pop in to Dyke and B&R ;)

6. simonium

simonium Member

Or book a hotel in Bristol, visit Flowers then pop in and see Cory...

7. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Sounds a good idea, although i'm not entirely sure he'll want to listen to us practising for a concert in Northampton?

I'd heard there was going to be a sound clip posted on the plcmusic site, but that doesnt appear to be up yet

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

oh pants mate, sorry, I really had forgotten. . . .

Well you get the point - Yorkshire is best etc etc. . .

Simon, come on you know this is the place to be, I know those Welsh chaps won the open, but 3 Yorkies in the top 5!!

9. simonium

simonium Member

You're quite right Garry - I was only teasing young Matt. I believe I will be making the trip up for the Areas next year. Especially as an allegedly non-valved instrumentalist on the Music Panel has confirmed The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea as the piece!

10. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I heard a recording of this whilst on my holidays in the Loire Valley last week.

It sounds like Jurassic Park.

Bob

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Paul Lovatt Cooper
    Breath of Souls
    RAH
    Having day trip
  12. theflyingcornet

theflyingcornet New Member

I think Dyke have just recorded it, (which doesn't come as a seriously massive surprise) dyke and cory seem to have their paws on most testpiece commissions and recordings these days, all a bit blatant but Hey Ho, that's present day championship section banding for you. I hope this latest Dyke piece at the RAH is of a better standard than that bilge I unfortunately listened to 8 times on Saturday! As a matter of interest, How much do Dyke and Cory pay for our testpieces? Do they pay the composer or is the deal more based on sales of sets to the other competing bands?

13. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Bob

Jurassic Park sounds nothing like the Loire Valley.

Barry

14. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Dear Barry

You haven't met my family!

Bob

15. Tom Kuiling

Tom Kuiling Member

I thought the open piece was excellent, plenty of top-draw performances. I fear you will be disappointed if your hoping the Nationals piece is going to be better but we will see

16. Deano

Deano Member

I was told by a friend that spoke to Paul Lovatt Cooper on the weekend that the recording will be up on his website later this week.

17. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Or the holiday express next the flowers bandroom! :D

Alternatively listen to within blue empires, and every other PLC piece, have a listen to Jurrasic Park, and you won't be far off Breath of Souls

18. basstrom100

basstrom100 New Member

I think the testpiece was commissed especially for the Nationals' nothing to do with Black Dyke, they only recorded it as they are not there this year

19. simonium

simonium Member

That says all I need to know about PLC's endeavour! What kind of world do we live when it takes 17 years to get a new Gregson piece and PLC gets commissioned a new piece every 15 seconds?!

20. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

There was a time when performances or recordings of National Finals commissions were forbidden before the contest....:-?

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

One in which banding offers commissioned composers:
    i) poor financial returns; and
    ii) appreciation of diatonic time-filling but difficult musical pap above serious musical thought
    ?

When composers have the choice of writing what they want for an appreciative audience versus compromising their principles to meet a banding audience halfway, it's no surprise that we struggle to attract the acknowledged masters to write for band. Those who write for band frequently generally don't have commissioning offers from other fields crowding them.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Paul Lovatt Cooper
    Breath of Souls
    RAH
    Having day trip