Breaking News... Ronald Reagan...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 6, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    news
    Breaking News
    url
    Ronald Reagan
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Not abig surprise as he has been incapacitated for a while.

As a president I (a U.S. citizen) would rate him about a 7 out of 10.

Did the rest of world like him?

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Being alive outside his term, I dunno what some of his decisions were. He strikes be as an effective leader, despite his poor acting skills....

Damnly my Frankling, I don't give a darl!!

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Not as bad as some, but not sure I liked the tax cuts for the rich and welfare cuts for the poor.

Also, and I might be wrong here so correct me if I am, wasn't he the president who armed Saddam and Osama Bin Laden?

He did help with ending the Cold War though.

Has left an unfortunate legacy that the Supreme court is stacked with hardline conservatives that he put in.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

A great man indeed whose feats were only ever recognised after his presidency. He took the hard decisions to re-arm America in the face of increasing Soviet sabre rattling. The strategic placing of defensive armaments in Europe and the public announcement of SDI also placed the Soviets on the back foot and forced them to re-think their strategies. This led directly to successive cuts in the nuclear arsenals of both sides and ultimately, with Soviet economic collapse, the destruction of the Berlin Wall and the fall of communism. The relative peace which we enjoy today is directly attributable to the policies of the Reagan administration. George W. Bush and the hawks in the current administration could learn a lot from their own recent history.

On a personal note. My father passed away last December, also from Alzheimers. I believe my mother shielded us from my dads illness for a long time but from the time he went into hospital until his death it was only a matter of months. President Reagan was ill for 10 years and I can only imagine the harrowing effect it had on his family. Like me I hope they find solace in the belief that their loved one has found peace and view his passing as a happy release from a particularly cruel illness.

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Listen to this man he speaks a lot of sense.
    Too many people take the rise out of Reagan for his absent mindedness (isn't hindsight a wonderful thing you lot eh?) but the Reagan - Thatcher friendship doesn't get nearly as much credit for the umbrella of relative peace we live under today as it should.
    (So sorry to hear about your Dad John, he's much happier now than he was at the end I'm sure.)