Breaking News: Archers to get new theme tune

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Laserbeam bass, May 21, 2010.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I was taking part in a pub quiz last night, and Q6 in the first half was:

What is smaller a Crotchet or a Quaver?

I joked with my team mates that as the quaver had a tail on it, and knowing how the question setter had previous of quoting incorrect answers from a book, it would be smaller in size.

Imagine my surprise when the answer sheet was returned with an X next to the correct answer of Quaver.

So the long and the short of it is that the Archers theme tune (Barwick Green) will now have a new rhythm

Da Daaa Da Daaa Da Daaaa Da Daaaa, Da Daaa Da Daaa Daaaaa Daaaaaa etc

2. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

Did you complain?
    I would of at least demanded free drinks!

3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I once had a particularly vocal disagreement with the quizmaster in the The Old Grindstone in Sheffield. Question: Occupants of which town are sometimes referred to as Monkey Hangers?
    My (correct) Answer: Hartlepool
    His (wrong) Answer: Middlesbrough (has he never of Smogmonsters?!)

We lost the quiz as a result.

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

My team was nearly thrown out of a pub for arguing with the quizmaster a couple of years ago. The dialogue went like this:

(Quizmaster) Who composed the bride's wedding march?

(Whole pub in unison) Which one?

(Quizmaster) Oh the usual one (then he sings the 'short, fat and wide' theme from Lohengrin)

...and of course the answer he wanted was Mendelssohn. Had we got the answer 'correct' we would have taken home a month's supply of steak, chops, sausages and pies, so it was worth getting cross about!

5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

But as you said, a quaver has a tail on it, so it's larger than a crotchet that doesn't have a tail. I think that's pretty clear.

6. Laserbeam bass

I will be getting my own back, becuase next time I am quizmaster, one of the questions will be

True or False

All answers in quizbooks are correct

and which ever answer the question person from last night gives will be wrong :mad:

7. Laserbeam bass

Yes, but she is one half of the landladies, and would not under any circusmstances accept that her cherished book could be wrong.
    She didn't even consider that me and one of the other team members have 75 years worth of musical experience between us, and that we really should know the answer then

Pubs, apparently by law, (well this one anyway) are no longer allowed to give free drinks, and this one has started charging a penny a pint for the free drink.

The final straw was when she got her niece to look up the answer on the internet, and called me over to show me that I was wrong

The list showed
    Breve

Minim
    Crotchet
    Quaver

Demi-Quaver
    Hemi-Demi-Quaver
    and
    Hemi-Demi-Semi Quaver

You will note that there are two notes misisng, and I was then confidentally advised that the longest note was at the bottom and the shortest not at the top of thie list. I explained the relative length of each note, and the niece said "Oh, maybe the longest does start at the top. WTF? Gave up arguing at that point, and went back to my beer.

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

did you also point out that two of the last three names of the notes were also completely wrong and don't exist? :p

9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

maybe you should start calling the notes quarters, eighths, sixteenths, etc., like people in normal countries do ;)

10. Laserbeam bass

I know, lets go metric and call them 0.25, 0.125, 0.0625 notes......... [​IMG]

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Daaaaa Daaaaaa
    Da Daaa Da Daaa
    Barwick Green
    Q6
    Da Daaa Da Daaa Da Daaaa Da Daaaa
  12. Laserbeam bass

I'm a bass player we don't get any of those multiple lined things, so I have no need to know what they are called :tongue:

13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Breve does, of course, mean short. So perhaps we are all wrong!

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

What? and admit we are American in disguise?....

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

or Germans ;)

16. blue juice

blue juice Member

Not really anything to do with music but we were doing a quiz where one of the rounds was like family fortunes where they've polled people in advance and you have to guess what people have said. The subject was 'Things you use only once'. We, along with every other quiz team immediately said condom. Apparently that is 'inappropriate' and the correct answer was teabags, even though you can use tea bags more than once. Absolute joke!!

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Flipping hell, you can tell you're northern.

18. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

But then we'd have to have an extra note as well - 'H'. I can't get the kids to remember there are only 7 letter names to begin with and these days there are fewer of them who know Duh a Deer! ;)

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I did once receive a text message from a trombone player (who was helping another band out at a rehearsal) asking "What does it mean if a semibreve has a line at each side of it?"

My response "Look at the time signature."

"Oh. Thanks."

He's a conductor too you know.... :rolleyes:

20. This thread is genius!

Andy - confused about note values again

21. Is that who I think it is .......

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Daaaaa Daaaaaa
    Da Daaa Da Daaa
    Barwick Green
    Q6