Break in rehearsal?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mike Saville, Mar 15, 2004.

?

Do you stop for a break in the middle of rehearsal?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

8.8%
  3. Sometimes

1.8%
  1. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Following on from the subscription thread and aforementioned 'coffee fund' I was wondering how many bands actually have a break in the middle of thier rehearsals.

At Chichester we play right through from 7:30 to 9:15/30ish. No break for us then, but we do finish early which means more time for a pint afterwards.

Also does anyone have any views on if these breaks are needed?

2. NAS

NAS Member

When I arrived at Rainford the band were used to having a 5 minute break. Personally I would prefer to keep working through... Not having a break also keeps my mind ticking over :lol: .

3. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

We used to have tea and coffee made for us at rehearsals but that stop when the lady doing it became ill and it has now been discontinued. However, we still break and a few people bring their own flasks of whatever.

Having a break allows for any announcements to be made when everyone's (still) there and for any welcomes of new players. It also allows for important stuff like bonus ball draws to be carried out when everyone's (still) there thus maximising the benefit of such things to the band.

4. Trigger

Trigger Member

Well the majority of my band are smokers, so there would be uproar if anyone dared suggest that we play right through from 8-10. Besides, eveyone has a good laugh in the break. :lol:

5. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

We have a break halfway through but this should only really be about 10 mins but can go on longer which is a bit of a pain, as we have a coffee or whatever first and then when we are back in our seats announcements are made taking up more valuable time.

6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

our rehearsals are 8-10 and we have a 5min break in the miggle for all da smokers in our band

7. Rehearsals get too tedious without breaks.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

8-10 for us... no breaks

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Rehearsals 7-30-9-30 for us with no breaks.
    Personally i'd rather go straight through, keeps the lip in, builds the stamina and allows more to be done.

10. winterman

winterman Member

We rehearse Mondays & Thursdays 7:45 - 9:45 usually with a 10 minute break in the middle.

Sometimes I really value this (especially if we have been up in the Gods all first half) but more often than not my lip is cold again by the time we come back and it can take a good 10 minutes for the band to get going again..

Pro's and con's to it.. but it depends on the content of the rehearsal for me..

Mic Tyler
    Principle Euphonium
    Drighlington Band

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsal
    group activity
    side
    forms
    studies
  12. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Our rehearsals are 8-10pm
    A break about half way through usually. It's not a fixed time though. Usually time to go to the toilet, stretch legs and have announcements etc. no tea and biscuits though! About 5mins. Just a nice little rest but the instrument doesn't get cold and stuff.

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

We have a good 15 minute rehersal (although our conductor doesn't usually want it that long). We have tea, biscuits and enough time to go loo and smoke. Trouble with Tea is you have to wash up at the end :x :D

14. SBB

SBB Member

8 - 10 Wednesdays

7:30 - 9:30 Sundays

NO BREAKS FOR US!

:( :(

15. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

We rehearse 8-10 Wednesdays and 6.45-8.45 Sundays with a break although at the moment we're only having a break on a Wednesday. I prefer this as a lot of us travel quite a distance to get to band, often not getting chance to eat so a coffee is very welcome. However on Sunday I'm quite happy to go without the break.

Rach x

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We practice 8-10 with a 5-10 minute break for coffee. It doesn't really bother me whether we have a break or not. Occasionally it takes the band a while to wind back up again after break though.

17. trombelle

trombelle Member

we rehearse above a bar. 'nuff said :D

18. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Usually a quick 5-10 minute break, but near contests we tend to play right through the rehearsal. I'm indifferent to either. Sometimes I like to play on, sometimes I've had a long day and I need a break.

19. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

As stated in the subscription thread - no breaks for us!!! Glad to see I can be useful for starting a new topic!!! :D

20. Jethro Vindabona

Jethro Vindabona New Member

7:00 to 9:15 pm-ish. No break for the homeys. Gotta sneak out if you need a quick tinkle.

Since we only have one full-band rehearsal per week it's probably for the best. We used to take a break midway through...but once this group gets to smokin' and tokin' and jokin'... it's just too hard to round us all back up. :guiness

21. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

As a player and a conductor I much prefer not to have a break. I think it breaks the concentration far too much and if you're not careful that 5 minute break soon turns in to 10 minutes which will then turn in to 15 minutes etc etc etc.

I remember a band invited a guest conductor down leading up to contest who wouldn't let the band have a break. Everyone said how good it was. So next rehearsal I did the same - no break. All was going well until one player stood up and said "I need a fag" and promptly walked out of the rehearsal to have their fag. Hmmmm :x :x :x :x

Anyway - very fine line.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    rehearsal
    group activity
    side
    forms
    studies