Brassed Off

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cornetsquint, Oct 11, 2006.

1. cornetsquint

cornetsquint Member

After watching brassed off on film 4 a couple of nights ago, I was wondering - how accurate is the film? Apart from the actors miming playing, how can a player go to practice one night and then play in a contest the next day??:-?

2. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

um i'm not sure if i usderstand the question right ... but we've almost always rehearsed the night befrore a contest! just a quick 'top and tail' really!

3. borrowed player?

4. MartinT

MartinT Member

There's a lot of things wrong in that film, but I don't see that as one of them!

5. starperformer

starperformer Member

the night before a contest, we always rehearse clog dance and then have a guest slot for soloists. you should try it, it may unearth new talent that can then fill empty solo seats for the following day's performance.

6. flower girl

flower girl Member

i'm a bit confused as to the question

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think the question was aimed at Gloria Mullins turning up at rehearsal, immediately playing a solo with a band she doesn't know and then playing with them at the whits the day after.

As for mistakes in the film, there are tons of others, and here are but a few of the whoppers!
    * conductors that wear the same jacket as the band on stage?
    * how many people go to rehearsals in uniform (conductor did the night that gloria turned up)
    * own stand banners on the nationals stage?
    * bands at the nationals/areas playing different pieces of music?
    * playing florentiner march at the areas, outdoors!!! and off a lyre and march card?!?!? (anyone who knows florentiner march will know it's three A4 pages long!)
    * results announced at al the main whit villages in daylight?

shall i go on?

8. MartinT

MartinT Member

Why stop when you're having fun? :D

9. impycornet

impycornet Member

Mullins ??

I thought her surname was Stitts ???

must be getting old & confused :)

10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

when Brassed Off was released I was working in a coal mine in yorkshire (near to selby), a lot of the guys from then pit were as scathing of the inaccuracies of pit work as I was of the inaccuries of brass bands.

It's a film, and if it raises the profile of brass bands in then general public then I think it's great !

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off
  12. Di

Di Active Member

It may well raise public awareness of brass bands, which, as you say, can't be a bad thing, but it does give such a false impression. To be honest, I've managed to get until just after Christmas this year before I ever set eyes on the film and I only managed to watch about half of it before I just lost interest. I switched it off and have never been tempted to see it though to the end. I suppose the question I have is WHY? WHY present this false impression. :confused:

13. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Thought that joke was normally applied to soprano singers... :wink:

14. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Of course the film is inaccurate, would there be that much mileage in filming what really goes on. It wasn't meant to be a film about brass bands by brass band people, just a vehicle to tell a story and a damn good story at that. Forget the fact that they got so much wrong, just watch it for what it is, documentary no, entertainment yes.

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I watch it again and again, just so I can have a damn good cry when he says "horns are a bit light". Gets me every time and I become a little badger fountain... :(
    BMB
    xx

16. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

:eek:How can you insult Brassed Off? It's fantastic. And what films are accurate? It has a brass band and Ewan McGregor in, stop complaing!

17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Is it just me, or does Jim the bass player carry a rotary bass to the rehearsal.... but then play a normal bass during the rehearsal?

18. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

My 2 main gripes are:

1. William Tell at the national finals
    2. Deciding to go to the finals the day before the contest

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Of course Prague or similar would have been a more realistic representation and they really should have shown much more of the the hours and hours of finite rehearsal detail that would have been required to prepare for the finals :rolleyes: . That would be a film well worth watching - they'd need to set aside the Oscars for that one;) .

20. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Exactly! I love the film, despite sitting there cringing at some of the inaccuracies and stereotypes. And yes, I turn on the waterworks every time!!

21. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

And to an audience of ?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off