Brassed Off!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by v_star, Sep 10, 2006.

1. v_star

v_star Member

Hey all.
    I've just finished performing in Brassed Off at the Hinckley Concordia Theatre, Leicestershire. I played the role of Gloria.

Having grown up in brass bands, fitting drama around a busy band calendar, I guess the role of Gloria was a dream come true.

I was a little disappointed to learn that most people thought that I was miming playing throughout the performance, because they didn't think that anyone would be able to act and play at the same time.

So my question is, has anyone else ever played the role of Gloria and actually played all of the flugel parts, solo included, and did anyone ever accuse them of miming too?

(We all know that Tara Fitzgerald mimed, and she's a "proffesional actor"!!)
  2. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I would like to say a BIG congratulations to all the cast and band :clap: . You did a great job (I came to see it on the opening night),and a special mention to Vicki Stanley - you were fabulous hun! You played so well and we are really proud of you.:tup

Well done to all.:biggrin:
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

My wife, who also played the part of Gloria the Oldham Colliseum production last September was accused of miming once or twice. Quite remarkably, on occasions, so were the cast the Watermill's production of the Hot Mikado this summer (also staring Mrs Q.) which was an "actor musician" production. I say "quite remarkably" because the Watermill isn't that large, so no matter where you are in the audience, you get a good view of what is happening on stage.
  4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I know it is annoying when people make that assumption, but at least they have a reasoning behind it. Think of how many pop stars etc. mime.

What annoys me even more is when people come and see a musical with a band and a conductor sat in front of the stage - not even in a pit out of sight - and they still think the music was on cd!! Makes you wonder what the world is coming to...

5. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I played Gloria in the Lawrence Batley Theatre production of Brassed Off about 5 years ago in Huddersfield, and a right good laugh it was too. :D Most of the principal actors were either banders or had family members who were, and most of us played the instruments, apart from the ones who would have had to do silly swaps like cornet to bass!

I must admit, nobody accused me of miming, which I put down to the fact that my face looks so ridiculous when I'm playing that I couldn't possibly have put it on :oops:

And if anyone ever wants a band to do the business on stage then go to Hade Edge, they're a right bunch of budding thespians :clap:

BTW, what do you mean Tara Fitzgerald was miming??? Next you'll be telling me that the tooth fairy doen't exist and that Father Christmas isn't real..... :eek:

TIMBONE Active Member

Firstly, may I congratulate you on your success in what must have been a thrilling experience.

I know it is difficult, but we must not take it personally, and smile at much of the public's musical ignorance in the area of live performance. I use the word ignorance not as an insult, simply lack of knowledge. As you may know, I regularly direct musicals. I have a twelve piece semi-professional orchestra in the pit, who can be seen to be playing, and I can be seen directing these players and the singers on stage. Yet I know in advance that at some time during the week of performances, I will be asked at least once if the singers are pereforming to backing tracks.

If you are watching "The problem with Maria" on BBC1 on Saturday, even though you can see the backing musicians on stage, there will be people who think it is all pre-recorded.
  7. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

heya vik! thats a laugh that you were miming! - i should no! lmao! - nah vik u were great! i of course were miming throughout death or glory as i had forgotan my music. - woah im good! hehe! I cant believe that people though you were miming! thats outragous! It only goes to show how people dont expect actors to be *shock* musicians as well! Why only in my own school am i refused parts in a school play... because i play cornet... *Oh No!!*