Brassed off! Trombone player required

Discussion in 'Deputies Wanted' started by Nick Wilson, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Hook Norton Brass Band have an opportunity for a trombone player to join us, together with the Banbury Cross Players in putting on a stage production of the well known film Brassed Off in March next year. If you yourself are interested or know someone in the band that may like to take part then please drop me a line.

The play runs at The Mill in Banbury from Wednesday 2nd March - Saturday 5th March 2011 at 7.45pm each evening and a matinee performance on Saturday at 2pm. The rehearsals are either at The Mill itself or in Adderbury, not very far outside of Banbury.

The rehearsals which you would be required to attend are as follows:

Sunday 9th January 2.30-4.30pm
    Sunday 16th January 2.30-4.30pm
    Sunday 30th January 2.30-4.30pm
    Sunday 6th February 2.30-4.30pm
    Sunday 20th February 2.30-4.30pm
    Sunday 27th February 2.30-4.30pm
    Monday 28th February 7.30pm - Technical
    Tuesday 1st March 7.45pm - Dress rehearsal

Throughout the majority of the play a small group of circa 9 players will be mixed in with members of the cast to form the band as it appears on stage. The full band will come on at the end and give a short 10 minute concert at the end of the play. Parts of the rehearsal will require the cast members to be shown how to look as convincing as possible when they are on stage themselves - so a little bit of trombone coaching will also be required.

Rehearsals for the cast have already begun and the band are looking forward to becoming more involved in the new year. This particular production has proved to be extremely popular with audience members at the season preview evening last month at which exerpts from each of the season's shows performed by the Banbury Cross Players are showcased. It looks set to be a great spectacle and alot of fun to be a part of.

2. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Plus, if any bands that have taken part in a similar production before had stand banners or jacket badges made to cover their own then please let me know as this would be really helpful. I'm sure some arrangement could be come to if any bands have what the director is looking for.

3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Nick, that seems like a huge amount of rehearsals that the band needs to attend, what's the reason for that?

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It is a a vast number! I'd expect to be financially well compensated for that much commitment to playing for a show.

5. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Playing a show? You are also going to be an "actor" - I'll be asking what size is my dressing room? :biggrin:

I would imagine the commitment is down to stage direction etc etc ;)

6. julestools

julestools Active Member

We're doing "Brassed of" in Runcorn at the Brindley in February. Loads of rehersals and 6 performances. Can't wait :)

xx

Jules

7. David Mann

David Mann Member

8 rehearsals for a show that lasts a couple of hours, with some stagecraft and memorisation required doesn't seem so bad when you compare it to what bands will do for one performance of the area test piece.

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Perhaps not, but watching actors learn lines whilst my instrument remains fixed to my knee isn't my idea of fun.

We recently did a Brassed Off production and went to the dress rehearsal. From the band's perspective it was enough to know what was expected.

9. David Mann

David Mann Member

If you substitute "players" and "parts" for "actors" and "lines" that's my view of lower section contesting.:wink: That's why I'm not going to do it anymore.

Having seen Brassed Off perhaps I misunderstood what the players needed to do - do they just have to stand in the right place and play the music?

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Yes, they usually use actors for the spoken parts, the band just play the music and react to what's going on around them to appear more realistic. All the band really need to get out of rehearsing with the cast is where they need to be at what time etc.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Mill
    Brassed Off
    Hook Norton Brass Band
    Banbury
    Banbury Cross Players
  12. astreet83

astreet83 Member

not thought what the actors and production crew might need to to get out the rehearsal time with the band?

I would imagine the band would be larger than the cast, so imagine have to control that amount of people and making sure everyone is in the right place. Having been on some production crews (and played at many shows) it can be very stressful if your cast don't know or don't expect what coming.

13. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Which I why I asked why there was so much rehearsal. It may be that the director wants the band to be more involved than merely playing as needed.

I've appeared in one and seen several different productions and all had one thing in common, which is that the band plays in several scenes and that's about it. This is due to the band pretty much taking up all the performance space because of the size of it. Logistically it isn't much of a problem because the band will pretty much stick to the same formation for the duration, with the actors performing around/in front of the band.

If the director just tells the band what's needed, it shouldn't take too much organising.

As I stated earlier, we attended one dress rehearsal. That took about 3 hours where the director just concentrated on the scenes with the band in. It was enough for the band to give a performance that the cast/crew/director were more than happy with.

IMO having to attend that many rehearsals for something that is relatively straight forward is going to hack the band off. YMMV.........

14. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

As has been mentioned I think the reason for all the rehearsal time is for stage direction, timings and so that the band and cast can get comfortable with and know exactly what each are doing. With our particular venue the director has in mind quite a bit of movement e.g. each village during the Whit marches scenes will be played from a slightly different part of the stage and at one point we play from the foyer of the theatre.

If it comes down to it and the number of rehearsals is an issue we may be be able to think of a way around it.

Re financial compensation - we would like to think that someone will want to join us and take part for the excellent experience it will be; however, subject to the response we get it may be necessary for the committee to consider offering some kind of incentive.

Another backup plan is for someone to put the trombone part in on another instrument since one of the actors will be playing a trombone anyway.

15. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

hi Nick, good luck with production, let me know if you require a sop for fanal night, or if you require me at any rehearsal, but you def dont need me when only ten pieceplaying

16. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Cheers Dave, will do. Have a lovely Christmas. :)

17. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Still no trombone player!

Still not managed to find anyone to play trombone with us for this production. If anyone is interested then please do contact me. Cheers, Nick. 07737 077009

18. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Trombone player found

Just a note to say that we have managed to sign someone up to play trombone with us for Brassed Off.

Hopefully see some of you at the show.

See details within the Auditorium post or on our website www.hooknortonbrassband.org.uk.

19. julestools

julestools Active Member

Just completed "Brassed Off" first night at the Brindley theatre in Runcorn. It all went very well but was difficult getting the band on and off stage in the time allowed especially when some players dont clear the wings! Just get the f... off!

xx

Jules (grumpy old git)