Brassed Off - the series

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by timbloke, Nov 23, 2003.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

I'm sure i read in the paper a few months back that the chap who wrote (or created or whatever) Brassed Off was thinking about doing a series bassed on Grimley Colliery Band, or something similar.

Has anyone heard any rumours to this effect..?

Would it get any kind of audience....?

Do you think the beeb/channel 4 would do a fly-on-the-wall of a band...?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off
    series
    bassed
    something
    anyone
  3. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Bearing in mind the amount of coverage we didn't get on Friday!!

Why not follow tMP - that would be good telly!

Rach x

4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure there's a certain video that could be used to start it off..

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Fulham Brass Band did the main CiN show a couple of years ago. All day rehearsals and on for about 10 seconds in the end, playing (yup, you guessed it....) The Floral Dance! Shoved off so that they could introduce Cher! Pah!

6. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

There has already been a fly on the wall documentary. C4 or more exactly tiger aspect for C4 followed Pride Valley Brass about for 3 weeks before the national qualifier. The comedian Arthur Smith was the presenter and it was shown nationally prior to the premiere of brassed off on terrestial television. It was a good laugh a few beers were bought and we even qualified for the Nationals!! :lol: the only problem was when the results were given off me and the conductor gave each other a hug. First time on national Tele and i looked like a puff!! :oops:

7. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

There was a one-off documentary in 1997ish that followed Kirkby Band to their victory at the 3rd section regional Midland championships that was shown on regional telly.
    More recently, there was a mini-series on the Desford bands which was show on Sky/Digital about two years ago, narrated by Liza Tarbuck.

I hadn't heard of the one that followed Pride Valley though.

8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

If they do a brassed off series can tMP Band provide the soundtrack? We're at least as good as grimethorpe!

9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I remember watching the Pride Valley documentary. Was good.

Is the stage version of Brassed Off still doing the rounds?

10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

There was a documentary on ITV in the Midlands region called "The Real Brassed Off."
    I recently emailed ITV to see if they'd bring it out on vid or anything, and they said if i'd like a copy of the 6 episodes it'd cost me £300!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    What a RIP-OFF! Do they think i'm made of money!? Lol! :lol:

11. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

That was the series about the Desford Bands which Stephen2001 mentioned above.

I'll make you a copy of my tape for £299 :wink:

Janet

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brassed Off
    series
    bassed
    something
    anyone
  13. markyboy

markyboy Member

Just wondered if anyone happens to remember an ITV drama/comedy which was on TV in 1980ish called 'Sounding Brass'?
    It starred Brian Glover. I do have the book of the series somewhere.
    Obviously it did feature a real brass band, but I have no idea who it was.
    Anyone got any info?

14. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

From what I remember about the book 'Sounding Brass', it was set in the Ilkeston/Heanor area on the Notts /Derbys border.

I too have the book somewhere!

Janet

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking of that one as well. Was that the one where the band in the programme were called the Shillingsbury Blowers, or something like that :?:

16. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

It was Ilkeston Brass!

17. asteria

asteria Member

Yep, i think i too have that book, a little old lady my mum knows bought it from oxfam for 20p, bargain!! Was it the one with Thora Hird in it?

18. MartinT

MartinT Member

Slightly off topic, but can anyone throw any light on the doings of the BBC Wales TV crew who were following Llanrug (I think it was) around in Dundee?

I know they got some good footage of the back of my neck :oops: as we were on next to (before or after? can't remember) Llanrug, and wondered whether and when the good people of Wales are to be subjected to this? Any information gratefully received.

19. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I remember once I did a concert, and the news crew were filming it. After the report (which I missed) I was on the News commercial for a month hitting the solo horn player in the head while playing bass trom..... :oops:

Well, I have good playing posture!!! :roll: