Brass v Woodwind

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chunky, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have been asked if it will be counter productive for somebody to learn a brass instrument as well as the flute?

I am concerned there maybe problems and difficulties.

Any suggestions / advice?
  2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I never had too much trouble and I played Clarinet and Sax as well as flute and cornet. It will make your sound a bit naffer though as each instrument uses a different embouchure.
  3. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I play top cornet for a wind band and also play the fife.And never found it a problem.The Bassoon player also plays flugel.I thought it would have been harder to play a double reed instrument especially as the embouchure is completely different.It is easier to play flute as you are only blowing across the m/piece.
  4. Veri

Veri Member

My flute teacher said that I couldn't play both. So, I gave up the flute in favour of the euphonium - best decision I ever made!!
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I didn't know that Dick!
  6. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Flutey, are you listening?

Although some time ago, back at school my music teacher reckoned playing brass and woodwind was no different to playing piano and drums. He did drink a lot though.
  7. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

He drank a lot... so he was a brass player.
  8. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i'm originally a flute player, but discovered that playin of the brass variety generally includes more alcohol so started the cornet aswell, had no problems with either at alevel grade 8 etc so i say go for it!!
  9. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I'd be inclined to say that the flute is probably one of the harder w/wind instruments to change from, as your embouchre is very loose. I've even found it quite difficult to get used to the clarinet and find the larger saxes much easier than, say, alto.

I wouldn't say that it's a definite no to learning brass as well, although I'd recommend a larger instrument which has a bigger mouthpiece. I've tried the cornet now and again and there's just too much resistance to get any kind of decent sound. Or that may just be me....

On the flip side, they'd have excellent breath control on a brass instrument, makes a change that all your breath goes into the instrument not just a third of it!
  10. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Didn't know what,me playing the fife?Yes,I was a fife,Bugler and drummer in the army and then,instructed all of them at my training depot.Then became a Drum Major.

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

This is an extension of the thread on doubling that Lenny_The_Shark started - if you can persuade yourself to i) not confuse the two at all, and ii) put in sufficient practise time on both, you'll be fine.
    My girlfriend is a grade 8 clarinet and RCM graduate trombone player, and can also play most of the other brass and winds at least passably well - it's far from impossible; indeed some people double many of these to a professional level, for example, this chap [who also has a trombone collection worth looking at]. It just takes a lot of patience and hard work.
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

is that a picture of a contrabass saxophone on his homepage? :eek:
  13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far.

The girl concerned has been playing trumpet for under a year, but also has been given the chance to learn to play flute.

My concern is with regard a clash in embouchure. However ot would appear that some people have easily done it. Although as a mere beginner playing trumpet, will it cause too many problems and is she better leaving the flute until she is more experienced on trumpet?
  14. leisa

leisa Active Member

I used to play flute and never eally encountered any technical problems although people were always telling me it was no good for the embouchue (this person was a violinist though so not sure how he knew!) but it was estricting o practise time cos i had to make time to pacitise both. it got to the stage eventually where I got to grade 6 on flute and was going to college to do music so had to pick one...brass won :-D
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Here in the US, music students aspiring to become secondary school music teachers are generally required to acquire at least a minimum level of proficiency on various types of instruments, usually including brass, single reed, double reed, string, keyboard, and percussion.
  16. DramaQueenGems

DramaQueenGems New Member

Well i play both woodwind and brass instruments. The flute and trombone. I also play the saxophone for good measure. I don't have any problems, i also know a few people that play a variety of brass and woodwind aswell and they don't seem to have any problems.

I would however say that i do have a stronger instrument out of the three but i think that it comes down to the amount of time spent practising each instrument and the number of years i have played each instrument. Many people have asked me if it messes up my embouchure but i personally feel that it does not and it also depends on the individual person and what they want to get out of playing each instrument they have chosen to play

I hope that helps a little more for you

17. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

I used to play bassoon at the same as euphonium, and never had any problems. Some people thought it might affect emboucure, but I found that since the 2 were completely different I had no trouble. I have more trouble changing from euph to bari - same pitch, same fingering, similar embouchure... just slightly different mouthpiece size... takes a little while to settle into the different instrument. Even worse is changing to tenor horn or Eb bass - not only do you have a different size mouthpiece, but you have to adjust your ear to the new pitch.

All in all, I'd say no problems with playing brass and woodwind.
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hey Chunky, a certain Baritone player in Cawston band is also a fairly nifty flute player, so why not ask her!
  19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Is there no end to her talents? Thanks for that Duncan.

And once again thanks to all the others for their advice / comments.

Seems it may work for some and not for others. Best to do all I can to encourage the youngster to try them both. Then no doubt she will realise brass is best!
  20. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i played flute and clarinet before playing Eb Bass (not cornet which might be different) i got told at school that i shouldn't do both but played all 3 right up to A level, i didn't find it to much of a problem, just got achey front teeth when i played alot