Brass: the music of war

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, May 5, 2005.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Just been doing some questions on Othello in english- on of the questions was whats the differnce between love and war, a possible answer was
    "brass is the musc of war, where as woodwind and strings are the music of love"

Just wondered if you agreed? Maybe thats where I've been going wrong and i should have stuck with the sexy saxophone?!!

2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I suppose it depends on how they're being played. Strings can certainly be instruments of torture when in the hands of novices & think of all those squeaks that come out of our reeded "friends"! Brass rules!!! :biggrin:
  3. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I can picture the scene ..... a few candles .....a glass of wine etc. The scene is set for sweeeet hot luuuurve . That special lady arrives , we move close on the sofa , and I put "St Magnus" on the stereo ..... !!!!!!

Thats where I've been going wrong!!!!!
  4. sugarandspice

:) !!!

i agree with you Hornikaz- i really dont like the sound of strings-not nice for my ears! and squeaking woodwind drives me mad!! Brass has got to be the best way forward?!!
    HorniKaz likes this.
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well out of a trombone and a viola, I know what I'd rather be armed with in a fight...
    Last edited: May 5, 2005
  6. six pints

six pints Active Member

dunno, you could do some major eye damage with a bow... (ewww eyes!)
  7. JDH

JDH Member

It is not what type of instrument it is which determines if it is love, or war - rather how the music is written and how it is played.

It is just that to most people brass is associated with the military and therefore with war. Composers have played on that stereotype in their music, perpetuating that image.
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Maybe there is a war stereotype because brass instruments are the only ones tough enough to play in the rain (unlike those other nancy instruments ;))

Sometimes I think of Low Brass (esp trombones and tubas) as clown insturments.
  9. sugarandspice

Any relation to the Acrobat?!! :)
  10. JDH

JDH Member

I more think of tubas as giants as in Fafner (from Wagner's Ring) ;)