Brass shops in New York

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidaus, Sep 10, 2007.

1. davidaus

davidaus New Member

Can anyone recommend a good brass shop in New York - preferable stockings Schilke, Yamaha and Bach Trumpets, Cornets, etc.

2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Try Giardinelli's. Can't remember where it is but I'm sure the internet will help you.
  3. 8th position

8th position Member

If you can get out of central New York, probably the best place is Dillon Music Inc. They're about 30mins out of the city, but well worth the trip - they carry a simply huge stock of everything related to brass instruments.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I believe Giardinelli is no longer a shop, but exists only on the internet. I could be wrong, but it's a long way to go to find it's been turned into a MacDonalds!
  5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Giardinellis (if indeed it is still there) was on 5th Avenue in Manhattan
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I've had good experiences with Dillon's in the past (although I haven't purchased anything from them in the last two or three years).

Remember that businesses in the city itself are usually not very good on price, because their rent and other overhead cost is generally very high.
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Also bear in mind that while Schilke and Bach instruments will be cheaper in the states than over here, Yamaha instruments are generally very expensive by comparison. I had some discussion over this with an American friend recently, and I can't remember for certain but I think he explained that it was something to do with punitive import taxes applied to Japanese imports to the US ...
  8. davidaus

davidaus New Member

where i went

Thanks to everyone ... I went to Dillons in Woodbridge New Jersey ... who where very helpful in selling me a bach strad trumpet. They didn't have the schilke sop i wanted and could not afford anyway.:D
  9. Tootsall

Tootsall New Member

At present currency exchange rates, I'd think that US-built horns are dirt cheap today. I purchased a B1 Schilke 4 years ago and it cost me $3,200 Cdn. Today that same horn is $2,200 and that includes the increases in the US list price. Too bad the Schilke is now a "spare/backup" horn... an Eclipse MR replaced it a couple of years back. Now THAT is a superb instrument.