Brass school demo!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Jun 16, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi guys, we are doing a brass demonstration at an infants & primary school and I would like some pictures and handouts on history of instrumnets and how they work

any ideas guys

2. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

If you go to they have a history page for their company, and pics of all their current instruments. You could browse the site for info and do any 'dumbing down' necessary! Hope it helps.
  3. satchmo shaz

4. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Hi Sharon,

Done a few demos in the last twelve months in Auckland.

Right it goes like this,

Introduction of ourselves
    Buzz, then let the kids buzz
    Show and demonstrate a mouthpiece
    Show and demonstrate funnel, plastic pipe and mouthpiece
    Show and demonstrate posthorn (or bugle) and explain the similarities between the plastic effort and also the differences.
    Explain how the posthorn was used functionally (i.e post, war, church)
    Show and demonstrate valves - play a rapid passage and explain how the valves work
    Show and demonstrate a trombone - explain the differences between the slide and valves
    Get about four kids to come up and try out some instruments
    If you can get a CD backing of a solo show the cornet off in a solo
    Do the same with a trombone
    Do the same with the trumpet and explain the sound difference between the cornet and trumpet and what each instrument is used in
    Simon shows off the tuba at this point and plays Teddy Bears Picnic
    We play a duet
    We explain the benefits of playing a brass instrument and how they can become involved
    Hand out leaflets
    I then play a short difficult solo
    Open for questions from teachers and pupils (sometimes you get bizarre requests to play Star Wars, Lord of the Rings be prepared for this!)

If you need any more info. pm me.

Alex K
  5. satchmo shaz

Brill, I have already got the plastic hose and funnel at the ready, also bugle type instruments. There will be 6 of us all on different instruments so that will be cool, its just suitable handouts for infant/primary kids.............

but thanks for lots of good tips :clap:
    certainly will help, we have a small tuba and trombone which I will certainly take along
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

A big advantage of including a trombone is that the kids should be able to notice that the pitch is lowered as the length of tubing increases. If they watch the slide extending and hear the change in pitch, you can then explain the similar function with the valves in adding succesive lengths of tubing.
  7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I'm completely dense sorry. I didn't read your post properly and went onto a big spiel about demos when all you wanted was handouts.

Right, maybe you could get the kids to colour in a trumpet and get them to label the parts of the instrument and/or a serpent. Get them to use their imagination and design a brass instrument and give it a name. is a trumpet colouring page. tuba another trumpet.

Maybe not go too in depth with the handouts. You could quickly design something and add clip art to it. You know with a picture of a postman, soldier etc.

Bring in photos of you and your band and tell them about all the cool trips you've been on and the 'friends for life' banding thing.

Hope it goes well.

8. satchmo shaz

what a great site! thank you! I;m sure that the demo will go well, we have already been asked to do another one!

Thanks for all your help

cheers Shaz :biggrin:
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Great idea Sharon; our village are currently holding a Summer Cultural Festival (I know you wouldn't think there was any in Killamarsh) however we did arrange a Young Persons' Brass Band Musical Instrument Workshop at the Sports Centre last Sunday.

I sent letters, emails and follow-up faxes to 40 primary and junior schools within a 7 mile radius - had 8 kids turn up with instruments and 6 more that were intrerested. We were pleasantly surprised by the interest as we thought that running the event at the weekend and outside of the schools that the teachers might not be too enthusiastic to promote it for us.

Think we will arrange a similar series of demonstrations to that you are undertaking.

As well as the kids we also had two adults returning to banding come along as well and they turned up to our first band rehearsal after the workshop - back row cornets are just what we need at the moment.

All the best with you efforts to encourage more youngsters to take up banding.
  10. satchmo shaz

well it went down a storm, all 70 kids enjoyed it, I got em all singing and joining in and played lots of percussion instruments as well!

Many thanks Alex for the website piccies!:cool: