Brass repairers, anybody know a good one?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bass Trumpet, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Hi Folks,
    This might just qualify for the dullest thread of the year, but I'm at a loss! I need some work done on my Conn 88H Elkhart trombone and don't know who to go to :( . Sadly, not many repairers have the right equipment to re-align trombone slides and the two I know of (Mick Rath and Sharon McCallum) can't do it for various reasons (sickness, full workshop, holidays etc.).

Does anybody know a slide technician they can trust to do a good job on a very precious trombone?

All replied greatly received!
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

3. Bass Trumpet

Thanks, but not everybody can sort out a trombone slide. Do you know anyone specific who knows how to re-align one?
  4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Dunc, you must have met Will Spencer. He's 'particularly enjoys working on trombone slides'

Thay guy can repair anything, if you ask me! ;)

(The Monke rotary valve trumpet he restored on the repairs page was sent to him by me)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

6. Liz Loftus

Liz Loftus Member

I can recommend McQueens in Salford - just had my sovereign Horn (round Stamp) reconditioned, its like new again which is fantastic for an instrument that is over 30 years old :D He has a substantial workshop & even makes bugles etc for the military. A good turn around on work and he can arrange collection & delivery. easy to find the website on google :tup
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I'm fairly sure that First Class aren't repairing anything other than trumpets/cornets/flugels now - they are too busy making instruments.

They are phenomonal repairers though, worth asking.
    I also recommend Will Spencer (one of only three guys in the UK, along with First Class, that I will trust with my instruments - and you have already mentioned the third)
  8. Bass Trumpet

Thanks for your help folks. I'll get phoning tomorrow. What stikes me as a little odd, however, is that there are plenty of repairers out there, but not many who specialize in trombone slides - maybe we're a difficult lot to please!
  9. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

You could always try Mike Rath. Since they still hand build all their instruments, they have all the tools in place for repair. I know Denis Wedgewood in Cardiff is a genius with valves but he still sends any serious slide work to Raths.
  10. Bass Trumpet

Sadly, Mick's very busy at the moment. He was the first one I went to, but he's not able to do anything until mid-April. Sharon McCallum is great, too, but she's not been well recently and has reduced her workload (she also breeds pedegree sheep and it's been the lambing season - well, she doesn't breed them, she leaves that to the sheep, but you know what I mean) :biggrin:
  11. Bungle

Bungle Member

Sharon does sell slides on their own, so you may be able to get a replacement and keep your old one for marching/caroling jobs. You will find her contact details at I would recomend phoning as she is only just getting into Emailing.
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Try brassbailey, you will find him on page 8 of the B's third one from the bottom in the members list. He is based in Woddford Bridge Essex, close to the southern end of the M11. I will be seeing him at band tonight and can let you know how busy he is, as it is second job, and does it in the evenings. He is very reasonably priced as well.

I do know that he has a built a trombone from scratch so should be able to assist you.

Will post earlyish tomorrow morning with a definite answer for you.