Brass Qunitet Compitions..

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by lil_miss_trumpet, Aug 8, 2004.

1. lil_miss_trumpet

lil_miss_trumpet New Member

Hey everyone!(im a newbie on here)hehe

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are kind of Brass Quintet competions in the UK that are held? I play in one, i really enjoy it and think it would be good to compete in a compittion..makes a change from competing with wind bands etc
    If anyone knows ny could you post it on here and let me know...thanx :D

2. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

The only one I've ever heard of specifically for Brass 5tet was one held at Trinity College of Music - Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble Competition. Sadly not open to the general public - students of that college only.
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

The North Wales Brass Band Association has a solo , quartet , and quintet competition held in Feb each year . it's a good competition with bands competiting from Lions Youth Band and most of the North Wales Bands.
    Maybe Dyl has a contact name or number , maybe you could become a member of the North Wales association if you band is based outside wales ( which scotland is ) hope this helps.
  4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

there is always quartet/quintet sections in music festivals,
    come to cornwall and play in the cornwall music festival- next march i believe :D
  5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Cheers I think I will...what are the rules , can any group enter? :D
  6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

as long as you are not professionals i think
  7. stopher

stopher Member

as long as you are not professionals i think

Thats you and me then Nick!!!
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The only problem with the usual round of brass quartet/ensemble competitions is that the majority of them allow only brass band instrumentation. Still, for a 5tet, it's an ideal vehicle for say, the Ludwig Maurer quintets (for intermediate level) and the Victor Ewald quintets (or perhaps excerpts thereof.... they are a bit long otherwise! - for more advanced level) - all originally written for saxhorn combinations.