Brass Quintet Music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nicholasbarrett, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Good Afternoon All,

I am in the middle of setting up a Brass Quintet at the moment and am trying to track down some music.

Does anyone know any good suppliers? I am borrowing some from another group (warm that photocopier up nicely) so have some stuff to work on for the moment.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks,

2. mark_scott

mark_scott Member

I recently set up a quartet, and have been running a quintet at school, I managed to get alot of good music from, hope it helps.
  3. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

We have some titles in our catalogue for quintet from the pen of Andrew Lincoln

Go to, click on "Music Catalogue", then "Ensemble Music"

Gavin Pritchard
    JAGRINS Music Publications
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

What kind of quintet are you setting up? Brass Band Quintet or Orchestral Brass Quintet?

There is quite a massive orchestral brass repertoire of arrangements, transcriptions and original compositions. Just check out the Canadian Brass website (link to store at the top) my quintet has quite a lot of their publications. June Emerson has a good catalogue of quintet music too. We have a few of Alan Fernie's quintet arrangements too, which of course are very good! (although I don't know where we got them from as I didn't buy them)

If you are talking Brass Band Quintet, quite a lot of arrangements come with alternative parts (Horn in Eb, Euph etc) From memory, some of the PJBE arrangements and Alan Fernie's arrangements are the ones that seem to spring to mind.

No doubt someone will chip in to remind you that photocopying is illegal and point you in the direction of the tmp copyright factsheet :wink:
  5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Tanglewind the music of Stephen Roberts is a good choice, available online at his website

has music used by the "Fine Arts Brass ensamble" of which Stephen was their horn player.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I am sure you will be quick to confirm either that you are only joking, or that the music concerned is not copyrighted, as we all know that photocopying copyrighted music is illegal, and only a very stupid person would openly advertise to the world that he was doing it.

That is the case, isn't it?
  8. James Yelland

On a more helpful note, try which has a reasonable selection of brass chamber music, some of which I have never seen anywhere else.
  9. Thanks to everyone for their posts. They have been really helpful.

As to the photocopying comment, I am pleased to say that the music I have obtained is not protected by copyright. In fact it is from a military band quintet who have arranged a number of their own pieces. I hope that re-assures the copyright police.

Thanks again to everyone.

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You'd best check that the arrangements you are going to copy are legal before warming it up...!
  11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Actually, speaking of which... does anyone know where I can get the quintet arrangement of Symphony for Brass ( Ewald )?. I know one exists ( it was after all originally a quintet piece ) but can't seem to find a supplier!
  12. James Yelland

As mentioned above,
  13. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

The uni music library?
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Thanks ( does help when you search for the composer...DOH! ) :D
  15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Don't forget There's loads of decent quintet music on there. Provided you've got time to filter out the less than decent tripe that the ease of using sibelius encorages people to publish!
  16. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

It's called Quintet no.1 and I would have thought June Emerson or Banks of York would have it. (It came before the symphony which i think is a transcription not by Victor Ewald)