Brass quintet music ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kiwiinoz, Jun 13, 2015.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

A group of us in the band (2 cornets, Eupho, Trom and Eb bass) want to play some quintet music in local area. From now on until Christmas this year. Can anyone suggest where some entertaining music can be found for us to entertain mostly retired folk. Cornets are pretty good as are the rest. Just want to expand the bands reach somewhat and play some fun stuff. Any and all ideas most welcome. Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    Eupho
    Trom
    group of us
    cornets
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

It all depends what type and level of music you want.

IMHO Matt Kingston sells a lot of good stuff including quintet music, see: http://www.bigshinybrass.com/brass-quintet-music/ .

I think that the MD of Grays Town Band (https://sites.google.com/site/graystownband/home) used to sell a CD of (written) quintet music on ebay.

4. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

5. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Thanks for your help. Will have a good look

6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There are plenty of quintets available, many with alternative parts, which you will need with your rather bottom heavy line-up - I hope your euph player has a good lip, he's going to be up at the top of the stave quite a lot!

There are loads of publishers out there, but maybe try Marc Reift, which offers a wide range of music for different combinations and almost always offers alternative parts. Some of the music is good quality, some is so-so....

7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

most of what I use is 2 cornets , Horn , Trom and Tuba. Stephen Roberts has a web site with different combinations catered for combo's up to full band.

8. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I have a quintet that was played, and I think recorded (they asked me permission to record it) by a group from the Northwest of the US (Oregon and Washington). If you would play it, I would let you have it for free. All I would want is the appropriate credit.

The tune is Dill Pickles, now in the public domain. It was a popular tune around 1910. In my arrangement, the melody is passed from 1st Cornet, to 2nd Cornet, to Eb Horn, on to the Trombone and even the Tuba gets in on the action.

Here is a link to an .mp3 file: http://www.allbrassradio.com/DillPickles.mp3

It is completed, and I can within minutes make it into treble clef parts.

9. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Thank you, greatly appreciated. Treble clef appreciated as well!

10. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Enjoy your radio as well thanks!

11. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Very kind of you to say so. The treble clef parts are already done (easy to do with modern music software). I wanted to do it which only took about 15 minutes.

PM me and I will be glad to send you (or anyone) the parts via email.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb
    Eupho
    Trom
    group of us
    cornets
  13. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

14. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Yes, sorry about that. My email is DrJAFox [at] gmail.com Drop me a note and let me know what you would like.

15. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I second that - Matt's stuff is good but the lack of a horn is going to make it difficult on whoever out of the Trombone and Euph plays the third part.
    I have a lot of light quintet music for sale at www.pdfbrass.com but again the third part is going to make it hard work.

16. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I have seen all kinds "ideas" for the third part.

First of all, a cornet player could play a tenor horn.
    Secondly, a euph player can often a tenor horn.
    Thirdly, a muted trombone can often work,
    and lastly, a Flugelhorn, muted or un-muted often works.

A lot depends on how tight the chords are. The horn works so well in the third part because it can be mellow and bright a change in one beat. The mellow horn works well because tight chords coming from the middle sounds nice.

17. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

To me it's more a case of range - the third part will normally lie low for a Flugel or high for a Euph/Tromb.

18. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

The range must fit, but the beauty of the quintet is the "mix". Most of what I said above can play in the range required. But how does that brass voice mix with rest of the group.

For example, a bass trombone is a poor substitute for a tuba in a brass quintet. It can play in the correct range, but a bass trombone is a conical bore and if played forte or louder the sound will be the traditional bass trombone "snap."

The mix is ultimate in my mind. It is only a 3rd or 5th hirer for the bone or euphonium and a 3rd or a 5th lower for a flugelhorn. The mix is what makes it great. If you do not have the instruments, play a quartet or a trio - or try hard to mix in the missing part.

19. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Best not mention that to the American Brass Quintet, who seem to have been getting along very well since the 1960's!

20. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

There are exceptions always. My guess is that American Brass Quintet writes/arranges the pieces with the bass trombone (my instrument, BTW) in mind thus build melodies and chords around the bass trombone sound.

But I still maintain that a traditional brass quintet (2 cornets, 1 horn, 1 trombone, 1 tuba) would only occasionally, if ever, sound good with the bass trombone in place of the tuba.

21. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Hi Jim, thanks again for emailing me your arrangement. I note that the bass part is in B flat not E flat. I can transpose on the day as best I can but for safety sake wonder if you could send an E flat part to me? Thanks. Will also keep you posted and send recording once we play it out. Regards

22. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Sure, that is easy to do! I changed it to fit better with an Eb Tenor horn. I'll send you the piece in Eb and in treble. It sounds better in Eb, but is harder to play.