Brass Quartet: Which fits the following description best.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I'm looking for a quartet for 2 Cornets, a tenor horn and euph/trom.

What i'm looking for is a piece which is nice for the audience to listen to, yet moderately difficult for the quartet to play. does anyone know of any pieces like that?

Cheers
    Jonny

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    following description best
    Brass Quartet
    URL
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

We won loads of contests with Vinter's Alla Burlesca....

(we being Mark Wilkinson, Jason Smith, Keith Warriner and me....with a substitution of David Bailey on cornet).

I liked it :D

Fancy's Knell was OK....never really liked Elegy & Rondo.

There was a Philip Sparke quartet that Faireys used to play - it had a bit in common with the middle movement of Music for a Festival, but some of it was, um, a bit tough....don't know if it was ever published.

4. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Thurlstone played one called :IN MY LITTLE NATIVE VALE..I think that s what they called it. This was in 1975, it was a very nice piece.:p

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Can't remember much about it now, but I used to enjoy playing Roger Payne's quartet written in 1972.

6. Masterblaster jnr

not sure without looking in to it, but it is for 2 cornets, a horn and euph/bari with no accompaniment. E.g for quartet contests.

Just to clarify

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You can still buy Roger Payne's quartets here (and yes, they are used for competitions!)

8. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Divertimento by Philip Sparke is the best quartet music I've ever heard or played.

A real mini test piece wuth a stunning slow section. Highly recommended

9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I would'nt mind if Mr Sparke wrote for Septet, Octet, Nonet, or 10 piece even.

10. How difficult 'moderately difficult' is rather depends on your abilities, of course, but our little quartet have had fun in the past year with Peter Graham's 'Timepiece', and Thomas Ruedi's Quartet No. 1. Both have their technical challenges but ought to be within the range of players of about 2nd/3rd section standard. Both are well-constructed pieces of music.

The Obrasso website (where you can get the Ruedi) has a fair selection of music, all of which is graded for difficulty. Likewise, try the Marc Reift website which has gallons of quartet music available, mostly light stuff but there are some substantial works tucked away in the list.

Hope this is helpful.

11. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

Try Peter Kneale's 'Quartet for Brass'

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    following description best
    Brass Quartet
    URL
  13. Masterblaster jnr

is there anywhere you can listen to a siblius file or recording of Timepiece, i've tried Gramercy but both score image and mp3 file don't work, irritating or what?

14. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, it is published by Studio Music and called Divertimento for Brass Quartet.

Highly recommended!!

15. brassbandmaestro

Whilst on tis subject of smaller scale pieces for brass band instrumentation, are there any good pieces of original music written, at all?

16. Masterblaster jnr

Sounds like it's a popular one, especially now i've sen it's price, even better. What's it like as a piece.

17. Masterblaster jnr

any way of hearing it, i found a way of listening to timepiece, so i'd like to be able to compare the two.

18. brassbandmaestro

For eight piece thag is!!

19. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I thought you wanted a quartet, how can it be a quartet with band accomp?Get a grip blaster junior,or i will tell your mum.:tongue:

20. Masterblaster jnr

hehe, it was just when you mentioned 'Thurlstone used to play' i thought you meant Thurlstone band. Anyway, is nightingale sang in berkely thingy a quartet with band accomp?

21. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

I did mean Thurlstone band... they had several wins on this piece at Penistone music festival until yours truly competed with a bass quartet and took the cup off them.:D

22. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Thurlstone had four quartets competing at music festivals, senior, trombones,basses and junior, they won 8 contests in a row in the late 70 s, these contests were a great way of improving a band.:p