Brass quartet - suggestions please?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AdamW, Jan 30, 2013.

1. AdamW

AdamW New Member

Hi all

As part of my A level music course, I have to perform as part of a brass quartet to show my ability to play both solo (euphonium) and in an accompanying role in the same piece - fairly typical brass band stuff but on a reduced scale! The piece needs to be Grade 5 standard.

I'm struggling a bit to find something to fit the bill, :confused: so I'm appealing for some ideas please. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful for any help.

Thanks very much

2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You might try Peter Graham's Timepiece. I wouldn't like to say what 'grade' it is, but it isn't impossibly difficult, probably playable by somone of, say, a Section2 band standard, and if you don't need the whole piece (which lasts about 8 minutes) it has a slow central section which features a short euph solo and plenty of supporting role.

There is a sample of the score at or you can see the first cornet part here:
  3. AdamW

AdamW New Member

Hi James

Thank you for the reply, i will check out the music and present it to my teacher as soon as i can so we can analyse it and see if it fits the bill!!

Thank you for your help

4. birdman

birdman New Member

Many of the old quartets pieces like Clouds & Sunshine etc are more than adequate, I have taught many pupils requiring the same criteria and these type of pieces will suit.