Brass on TV and radio at Christmas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bariman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Bariman

Bariman Member

Just to let you know that BBC Essex will be featuring two programmes containing brass music over the Christmas period.

Christmas Eve
    18:00 to 19:00 - Christmas Around The World - featuring Chelmsford SA Band, the Cambridge Chorale, Drum Jam, the Brentwood School Big Band and the Federation of Essex Women's Institutes choir.

Christmas Day
    06:00 to 07:00 - Your Favourite Christmas Carols - featuring Enfield Citadel Band and Chelmsford Citadel Songsters.

All times GMT

For details of the FM frequencies go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/england/essex/ These broadcasts are also available via the internet

In addition various local BBC stations are broadcasting highlights of The Salvation Army's Carol Concert held recently at the Royal Albert Hall.

See the link for details

http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/en/Celebrating+Christmas+BBC+LR.htm

Could the mods make this a sticky until after Christmas?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Just
    Christmas Around The World
    Chelmsford SA Band
    Enfield Citadel Band
    Federation of Essex Women's Institutes
  3. cornetkate

cornetkate Member

Great :) - there should be more bands on TV at Christmas.

0700 Christmas morning is a bit early for me though!!

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Presumably Chalk Farm SA Band will be making their annual appearance on the Blue Peter Christmas Special?

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Presumably their final one, with Blue Peter moving up to Manchester :shock:

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

More Brass on the radio.....
    Wem will be playing 'Carols in the Square' in Shrewsbury at 6 o'clock on Wednesday 22nd December.
    This will go out live on BBC Radio Shropshire (96 fm, I think) and apparently it will also be on the internet.

Edit: This has been advertised in the national press too! A neighbour gave us an extract from the mail on sunday this morning, It doesn't mention the name of the band, (Wem!) but does advertise the event itself and the fact that a Brass Band is playing!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

For those of you North of the Border, Clydebank SA Band will be appearing on 'River City'.

8. Brian Kelly

I should think that a certain band based close to the Trafford Centre would be willing to take the job over.

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

More brass on the radio...

GMR Brass presented by John Maines, has a 2 part Christmas special on the 26th....
    Frequency: 95.1 & 104.5 FM GMR
    Online:
    www.bbc.co.uk/manchester

Part One
    6am

Part Two 6pm
    Special Guest: Richard Evans

And Sounds of Brass (BROADCAST ON BBC RADIO BRISTOL, CORNWALL, DEVON, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, GUERNSEY, JERSEY, SOMERSET SOUND, SWINDON & WILTSHIRE EVERY SUNDAY EVENING @ 5 PAST 7... PRODUCED AND PRESENTED BY PHILLIP HUNT)

have Music from Goff Richards 60th Birthday Charity Concert, recorded live at The Hall for Cornwall, Truro, by PM Sound...
    (Combined Bands of Camborne Town and St Austell Town with The Four Lanes Male Choir)

also on the 26th :)

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Just read this on BBW.com... :)

Smithills in radio special

SEASONAL music to be broadcast in a BBC GMR (95.1 FM) Christmas Special radio programme on Christmas Eve (5pm) and Christmas Day (noon) was recorded at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, on December 16 by Smithills School Senior Brass (MD Chris Wormald), Wigan Youth Jazz Orchestra (Ian Darrington) and four choirs from Greater Manchester.

Smithills were one of a number of bands featured in the ITV1 South Bank Show on December 19.

11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

this is very true Cas.
    look us up on radio shropshire on the net tonight

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Christmas Just
    Christmas Around The World
    Chelmsford SA Band
    Enfield Citadel Band
    Federation of Essex Women's Institutes
  13. pegleg

pegleg Member

An excellent 55 minutes from Radio Shropshire. :) I heard the entire program on the web.

Well done, Wem Jubilee Band.!!!

:woo :woo :woo

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

wow dude, thanks, im glad you enjoyed it.

it was an excellent evening.

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

And it snowed!

;)

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

17. Brian Kelly

There was a brief appearance by a Salvation Army octet on "Coronation Street" on 26 December.

I recognised the conductor, Gordon Kirsopp, so I assume that they were from the Central North Divisional Band, or possibly Stockport Citadel Band (Gordon is the bandmaster of the Central North Divisional Band, and was the bandmaster of Stockport Citadel until 2003).

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

There was also a service from Coventry Methodist Central Hall on BBC1 on Christmas Day (between 10 and 11AM) which had amongst its performers (if I'm not mistaken) the Fine Arts Brass Ensemble.

19. lister89

lister89 Member

I know it's a little off the subject but did anyone see Hollyoaks the other week when they had the "Brass Band" playing? The first carol was unmistakably no 12 from the red coral books but then suddenly they had a synth playin horrible arrangements and called it a brass band. Just wondered who was actually playing Away in a Manger to start with and why didnt they ask you to do them all?!?!

20. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

Casualty@Holby City

My favourire banding moment was when the hospital was still blowing up after the tanker crashed into it and people were being dragged out of the blazing building, they finished with a small SA group strolling through the emergency services playing carols.